Agnostic.com

16 7

I have given this next topic a great deal of thought. The recent events of my Dad’s girl-friends funeral got me thinking. The Eulogist was a pastor who couldn’t even get her name right though he claimed to know her long and well. (I cry foul here) He used what was to be her eulogy more to preach than anything else. So here is the thing, as an Atheist the one thing I do NOT want is some religious person doing my Eulogy or my Obit and using it as a platform to further a belief in a God that I not only do not share, but do not condone. I believe Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson has the right idea; take my body that has been nourished by the flora and fauna of this good Earth and bury me beneath the soil so that the flora and fauna can be nourished by my dead body, thus is the circle of life. While my quote is not exact the sentiment is. I have decided I want an Atheist or Agnostic friend to render my Eulogy. I am sure my religious acquaintances upon attending will be in for quite the shock should I precede them in death!

misstuffy 7 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Specials Lyrics
"Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)"
(originally by Guy Lombardo)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think
Enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink
The years go by, as quickly as you wink
Enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself,
It's later than you think

Hello, I'm Terry,
And I'm going to enjoy myself first

It's good to be wise when you're young
'Cos you can only be young but the once
Enjoy yourself and have lots of fun
So glad and live life longer than you've ever done

Never right, yes I know
Get wisdom, knowledge and understanding
These three, were given free by the maker
Go to school, learn the rules, don't be no faker
It's not wise for you to be a foot stool

Now you tell me, I'm already 75. Haha

Thats pretty much what I want. My home is my resting place. My backyard has woods and trees. Want to be buried in ground as well. No official - have a friend say something and immediate family.

There are places specifically designated for a green funeral.

It is my will to be Burned and Scattered...some parts will need to go to the Scrapyard. Perhaps my ashes will improve soil fertility, and perhaps my non-organic (titanium) parts will become part of a space vehicle. There should be no waste of land on my carcass.

IF you have a green funeral, buried without embalment and in just a shroud and clothing your body will return nutrients to the soil.

When my ex-wife was murdered by her Satanic ex - but still currently living with her - boyfriend (seriously... Satanic with books and practicing) her friends hijacked the whole funneral preparations and gave her a "Christian" service. I knew this would have been against her wishes because we had talked about it and she was some sort of like vague Catholic-Buddhist combination, and her family was Catholic.

Sorry to hear that. That is the thing I am afraid of myself; ending up with a religious funeral when I am 100% against religion, something I view as evil.

misstuffy, I am very certain the religious service will happen for me. I have lots of friends trying to save my soul. I won't care too much...I'll be Dead! But I do hope I won't be buried.

Two of my three daughters are avowed atheists, though one is married to a catholic. #3 goes to church to make daddy happy. (he has money and they live with him for various reasons for them and him) I have told my kids to do what makes them happy. If they want to a casket and funeral, or if they want to let the state handle it. I am not going to be there, I don't really care. It won't be me anymore. I do like the idea of a tree growing out of my remains though. I'm not the party type. I have a friend who wants pregnant nuns at his funeral. Several of his lady friend are to obtain habits and strap on a pillow. I think a post-menopausal pregnant nun would be hysterical.

There will be NO service for Alice....look what happened to Hitch. Fuck that noise.

What happened to Hitch?

When he got cancer everyone started praying for him...He is my hands-down fav when it come to this subject. He wanted no services? I'm with the below, JWDiaz. Who even cares? I sure don't. I have seen so much stuff as a Hospice nurse, tyring to save my kids the/any trouble.

Love this man.

I agree totally. I’ve actually thought of having my body planted with a tree.
[google.com]

You can donate your body to science, no cost to your family.

Thanks I’ll pass. @fantasticalice

Iowa's Only INFIDEL CEMETARY rural Bellevue on the Bevan Farm decendants of Captain Elbridge Gerry Potter Atheist advocate for Thomas Paine bust inside Capitol Rotunda and stone Mason builder of Potters Mill on Mississippi River. ....Eulogy is Greek literally meaning PRAISE THE DEAD misstuffy and I have succeeded in that funeral role several times. ...there are fine exemplary famous eulogies authored by Corliss LaMont and Colonel Robert Ingersoll. ...but as you posted here most specifically eulogists are liars incompetent selling religion not the true story of the dead. ....would be nice if we could get together and co-author co-create eulogies together in advance for each other. ...walk a bit in each other's moccasins treasure some favored dishes drinks photos gardens art and document precise interment plans. ...file and notarize each with executors medical providers and County Pathologist. ....Katy Bar The Door to theocrats

I have no non-religious friend or family member to do that, so I already have a draft and plan to start recording something. But in the end, funerals are not for the deceased and I don't want to make it about me. Tough choice.

I just find most funerals to be so phony. A preacher who pretends they knew the deceased well when they can't even get the details and names right, then hijacking the service to preach their religious views. No Thanks. I prefer a celebration of life and maybe a party!

I have planted trees myself to directly help nature and I am just being cremated with no eulogy or anything. if it was legal I would happily have anyone up to the task to drag my body over to the trees and bury me hiding any signs of it being a burial and would have him paid as little as it would cost to do it. as that isn't an option cremation it is and even that with no bells and whistles is approx $1500 which is still robbery. I lost my much-loved dog last year as she was very ill and in pain. the cost of the very same job with the cost of the lethal injection was approx $120 and she was a big powerful dog. my sister specifically said she didn't want a funeral but her asshole partner denied her last wish and had one anyway. he had to tell the vicar over the phone all about my sister so he could pretend he knew her at great cost which is just bullshit.$10,000 for a see threw car and all the other shit for someone who didn't want it, attended by people who at best say they believe but never go to church and mostly didn't visit my sister generally in life. on top of this "cheapest" funeral, you only get 25 to 50 years in the ground if cremated or pay a shit load more if buried. this makes some of the richest fertilised soil and expensive land that is never put to good use. when people die I know I feel however I feel the moment I find out. I could go on but I can't be bothered. I think the film Dredd with Carl Urban had it spot on in so much as bodies were for recycling. I loved the film as a possible future and its one-liners and highly recommend it. there is no god in this film.

My funeral is organised, no service or anything, just body disposal. If I get some notice, there will be a hell of a party while I am still able.

I had a friend who passed Oct, 2017. He was feeling bad, drove to hospital, got admitted, was calling his brother and proceeded to have a heart attack. He refused life extension care, kept talking to his brother, telling him what to do with his belongings, kept talking till brother arrived, they hugged, he took his last breath and passed. OMG! How perfect was that? 2 brothers who had a hell-a connection.

Once I am gone... I will be busy with what is going on in the other side to worry about those and what left behind. I doubt there is a transition period available.

I've made pacts with different friends and family to help negate a lot of trying to save the pool pit if I go before them. Because I'm sure my family will try and have a religious ceremony.

I very rarely invoke my prestigious membership in the clergy. I am in fact Rev. Dave. I am an ordained atheist pastor through the First Church of Atheism. I got the ordination so that I could do just that. In addition I am planning to make myself available on a volunteer basis at the local prisons and Fort Carson to help normalize atheism and perhaps set a president for atheist clergy in the military. Atheist clergy are out there. The reason there is atheist clergy is that clergy have special access to prisons, military bases and can preform ceremonies such as weddings and funerals. This is particularly exciting for the lgbt community.

There are actual clergy that have become Atheist while in the pulpit. Talk about setting precedents! The Clergy Project was started with the idea there were a few, but the actual numbers of clergy in the pulpit turned atheist and seeking a way out turned out to be enourmous. One of these I wouldnt mind, at least they would leave God out of it.

@misstuffy thank you, I am aware of that and would like to say more and will in the future, but for now the situation is quite sensitive.

Howdy!! Oh, the religious DO LOVE a good funeral!! Gets their god juices boiling!

Luckily for me, those in my family from the God camp are all passing away before me. I used to think I was the only Atheist in the family and in recent years learned I had far more who believe as I do. My funeral will definitely be non-religious in nature.

I’m thinking of just recording my own in advance.

skado Level 9 Jan 20, 2018

Yep, I have the song "Three days after I die". Wrote it like 3 years ago. Got to record it and distribute it in different states were I hang my hat.

@AMGT Sounds like he had a brilliant solution to the problem

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.