Agnostic.com

7 3

What could have we accomplished?
Have you ever imagined if some how it could be mobilize all those people who spend hours every Sunday or Friday(depends on there belief) whatever time they spent going over the same idea. if we could use that dedicated hours for community service or to learn something educational (rational science) I tell you that is a lot of dedication and time. that is like a lot oh hours that could be used for a good cause.

Ewket 4 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agreed! If the human species had spent the amount of time focused on productive thought and action that it has wasted on religion, we would be a much more advanced, just, and caring society today!

Playing devils advocate : the temples allowed people to gather and exchange views . Also they took on projects using the combined strengths of the entire community. these lead to pyramids etc plus art and music. we WERE inspired by these tales of fantasy. Now we are inspired by science and money which are both very harsh and to some forbidding. next stage we have to rein in our govts and get them to work for us common folk once again then spend those couple of hours every week in collaboration instead of competition

Contrarian opinion: some of those people are spending that time doing wonderful things like examining the contents of their hearts, thinking about how their behavior impacts others, tuning into the suffering of others, working on ways to make a positive impact in their communities, raising money for charitable causes, etc. It's not all bad, or worthless.

Some on this site live in places where that is risky and this is their only outlet. Besides getting and giving information can be important.

For me it is a balancing act. I do all of the above because I can, want to and feel it is critical. Another thing I do on this site is to try and get members to look into other, important groups like Freedom From Religion Foundation ( [ffrf.org], the humanist ( [thehumanist.com] ) and the Brights ( [the-brights.net] ). The Humanist especially have a weekly blog with issues people do share comments. The prime mission of this site should be to disseminate information and these groups add to the knowledge we need to give and get informed ideas.

Sad, but true. Those same people, many with great intentions, have wasted so much time praying for good things to happen, rather than finding tangible solutions.

I agree.

Yeah but, the rest of us spend just as much time on here now so, there's that.

Duke Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

Very true. lol but I would think they do it on top of this.

@Ewket Thanks for seeing the humor in that. I do see your point though. And people who can't stand the idea of their tax dollars helping the less fortunate seem to think it should all be left up to charity to do that. If churches actually backed up the shit that they preach, we wouldn't need our tax dollars to do it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16804
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.