Essential Oils

Do think essential oils are beneficial?

• 8 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 9 votes
Crimson67 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Aroma therapy certainly. I buy soaps infused with difference oils to enjoy the mental lift they can give in the morning or after a hard days work. I have a friend who uses these oils to concoct an insect repellent that works and is not harmful. The term essential is often misunderstood. It refers to the oils having an essence not meaning that they are necessary. My favorite at the moment is tea tree.

I am a LMT and use them in my massage oils, etc. Relaxation wise, I have seen results. Healthwise, jury is still out for me

I don't know, I haven't tested it.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

My wife had a 100% chamomile that she used in an infuser. She put a cloth with a few drops of it in a bowl to produce the bouquet and after one day when the cloth felt dry she put it in her pocket to bring it to work. After a few hours the area outlined by her pocket became red. Within three days an area about 3" x 4" was blistered and weeping. After six weeks and 6 weekly treatments the she was released. The area is still discolored.

I honestly don't know one way or the other

Eucalypt oil for air purification. Tea tree for mosquito bites. Lavender for sleeping.

The kind that I use I can put underneath my tongue for fast absorption.
Frankincense helps with getting rid of my pain
Lemon gets me up-enery
Peppermint gets rid of my dizzy spells
Rosemary helps me get rid of headaches, and I put Rosemary every morning on my scalp to regrow my hair fast.
Oregano oil has antibacterial properties
Neem oil also has antibacterial properties
Lavender oil helps me to chill and relax at night

These are just some of the ones that I use on a daily basis.
I use a lot more.

@Wildgreens Do you think I will benefit from rosemary on my scalp? And is your name Rosemary and before i invite you over, do you like scalp perching? 🙂🙂🙂🙂

My wife is big into the aromatherapy. She's got them all over the house and has one to sleep by... my bathroom smells sweet. Without them I would be hearing that I need to clean my bathroom.... ugh!

Other.
I think they could be good as a lotion/moisturizer, but I don't believe they have any healing properties.
I don't recall seeing any in a doctors office or a hospital.

I use EOs daily because I like the way they smell. Most other fragrance things give me headaches but I can diffuse EOs with no issues. I do not think they help with health and wellness issues though.

Kanda Level 5 Jan 20, 2018

Yes. In the sense that scents (no pun intended) can lift your mood by stimulating the production of endorphins, I would say they are beneficial for some. Maybe not for everyone but, definitely for many people.

Duke Level 8 Jan 20, 2018

Subconscious control/ conditioned responses.

@FrayedBear I disagree but, if there is a reputable study that shows I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

@Duke look into hypnosis, how it works and of course the old Pavlov's dog experiment.

@FrayedBear I get what you're saying. And you could definitely be right. I think clinical trials on the effects of essential oils have only been recently started, they have had mixed results. The one area where it has shown significant possibility is in reducing agitation and improving behaviors in dementia patients. Studies are still ongoing to make better determinations of their actual effects and why. My previous opinion is based on what I've read from the studies so far. I do believe in the ability of science to get these yet undetermined results correct.

@Duke there are I think studies that identify smell as a very strong cue to resurrecting memories. Therefore if there are benefits to EO they will reoccur once triggered. E.g.. eucalypt oil reducing inflammation in the nasal and bronchial passages.

id like to change my vote to "Yes, but...."

Only if we're talking for cooking. I've got to have my olive oil. It's essential.

In my case, it's avocado oil. But, I get you.

Tried coconut oil?

@Duke & @witchymom I've never tried avocado oil because of the extra cost (and, honestly, I don't know what I'm doing in the kitchen most of the time). What are the advantages, in your experience, to using avocado oil?

@FrayedBear I haven't. What do you like about it? I'm not terribly fond of coconut flavor (though I don't hate it, either). Does the oil taste like coconut, or is it more neutral?

@resserts in normal cooking I never notice. All sorts of claims are made of the benefits from curing teeth carries and gum disease to colon cancer, from sun tanning lotion and protection to sexual lubricant with antibody / thrush prevention properties. In salad dressing it has to be a warm day to stay liquid and not solidify and yes you can taste coconut but that is far less than the garlic, herb and chilli additives. It is also supposed to be low in cholesterol.

@resserts The biggest advantage of avocado oil is that it's got the highest burn/smoke point of any oil available. Plus, I just find the taste more appealing than most other cooking oils. It is pricey by comparison but, it's getting to be a bit lower lately as it's becoming more popular. It's been shown to reduce LDL and raise HDL levels. (Since I have stents due to hereditary artery blockage, I have to watch that crap.) And, it's high in antioxidants among other healthier items in oil like Omega 3.

@witchymom It also does wonders for my hair when applied warm and allowed to soak for awhile.

@FrayedBear You can use coconut oil on most of your body. Also on your teeth about twice a week supposed to make your teeth whiter. Tea tree Oil good for gum inflammation and lavender oil is my saviour at night time...Then there is Bachs rescue remedy good for when you might feel a little anxious.

@Tiffanny I'm not familiar with Bach's. Do you have more detail to hand please?

I really don’t know..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.