Agnostic.com

7 1

Is it worth it to go on

I am single now and am afraid of the future....now a widower with not anything for the future....nearly agoraphobic now do not like to go out unless totally necessary ...was neevr like this way before...someone help me here..lol

James121 7 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hold on at least until after I've visited Glasgow again. πŸ™‚

I suspect it is worth it to go on, even if it doesn't feel that way now. that doesn't mean it'll be easy or painless. the one thing we know is that we're only alive for a short time and we're dead for a very long time afterwards, which obviates the need to hurry out of life. i think at the moment you're sheltering yourself. you feel tender and would bruise easily, emotionally speaking. if this is what you need to do, don't feel bad about it. if you have to hide, hide. i also think you're doing the right thing coming here, because that means despite your sheltering mode, you're also reaching out, and that can be expanded into the physical world when you're ready. unless you start hearing voices (or turning religious!) don't worry about your self-imposed isolation. if it feels right for you at the moment, even if it never did before, go with it. when you're ready to move on, you'll move on.

g

Take the time you need to heal. You will get through this.

When I lost my wife of 36 years to ALS, my life, as I had known it, was destroyed. I needed to start a new life for myself as a single man. That's daunting at age 65! As a devoted husband, I had a purpose but after she was gone, I had out lived my reason to exist. What was the point of going on now?

Going forward, I found that I had to write the next chapter of my life and I could write it almost any way I wanted. My old life was gone but I had my freedom to start over.

It was daunting to have to get myself out there and join new social circles and meet new people but the challenge has improved me.

The one thing we can always count on is change. For that by itself is reason for hope! πŸ™‚

The good news is, there are many different ways to go on

I think it’s worth it to go on. I saw your profile- You have great interests, two cats and a beard! That makes you great already.

I agree that grief counseling is a good thing to have, and perhaps if you have the time you could volunteer at an animal shelter, charity, visitor, helpline or become involved in local activism? You can meet so many friends with things in common and increase your self confidence, by helping others in a group.

Livia Level 6 Aug 31, 2018

Join the widow(er) group. I am sorry that you have this in common with us. You won't be as alone as it might seem.

Zster Level 8 Aug 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:168467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.