Agnostic.com

4 0

Religion provides an extended brotherhood.

How do a-religious people provide that function

xazlen 4 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not necessarily agree that religion provides an extended brotherhood. it sometimes provides that only by virtue of excluding others. anyway, irreligious folk do it all manner of ways, including but not limited to making lasting friendships, being close to their families, joining clubs and associations that have nothing to do with religion, being active in their neighborhoods, and/or running for office.

g

OK, first of all this song came to mind...

OK, now that that is out my system...

Humans evolved as social "herd" animals. We are generally instinctually drawn to groups because our evnolutionary ancestors used groups for safety and survival. Peopel just generally feel more secure and safer if they are a part of a group. Religion does provide a sense of community and belonging, which are the only real positive aspects to religion. The costs that come with belonging to their group is pretty darn high though. You have to give up your freedom to think fo yourself.

I would say non-religious brotherhoods are more meaningful. In church, all I ever got was a pat on the back and a "I'll pray for you". Of course this was Texas, where the people are about as shallow as a puddle. Outside, I've had real friends do stuff for me b/c they know some imaginary friend isn't going to help me.

By extended brotherhood you mean priests raping boys?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:168595
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.