Agnostic.com

14 5

Hey everyone,

I've hit a bit of a social rut, so I'm reaching out to hopefully like-minded people. I feel like most in my social groups are not at all interested in politics and philosophy, so I'm blown off by them in general. I'm from Ohio; I don't know if that makes a difference.

Those aren't my only interests. I might seem like a poser to some because I take interest in pretty much any topic, activity or genre. Anything that sounds or looks like it took just some effort to make will probably impress me.

For the next year, I've dedicated myself to being the most myself regardless of who it puts off. To be clear, I'm not jerk. I don't say things to people that I know won't help them, but this is I still different from others around me. This straight talk is also barring situations where, say, financial stability is at stake. I've avoided it in the past because, again, it seems to turn many people off. Not all, like my mentors and former classmates, but I'm rarely around them any more. I have a friend who thinks like me who took a wilderness job in a different state, so there's that.

I guess just don't be afraid to chat with me for any reason, though I'll say that I do trust the academic community as a whole and science, I believe that while morality is complex, we don't have to pretend like it's indeterminable, and I believe in order, organization, and doing whatever I have to to live the most moral and logical life I can live.

Best.

Honestape 6 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Try Amoralism?

I shall comb through your posts later tonight. I had been meaning to, but I was rather busy for a time there.

I have some time with spring break coming! Yay!

Welcome! ... Even though the welcome is belated. Cheers!

Sadoi Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Welcome, and I hope to read your comments.

I can't chat until Im a level 2
But, I too, am from Ohio. If that matters.

Kim- nice to meet you.

You as well.

It helped me tremendously to join Meetup groups with like-minded people. I have two secular groups (they have different demographics and goals), a philosophy group (meets monthly on a selected topic), and two book clubs (social).

Through these groups I’ve cultivated excellent friends and love them dearly. Contrary to my workplace, I am able to be myself in these spaces. I really dislike having to cover my true personality and beliefs//lack of beliefs. I enjoy deep conversation on a variety of topics, but definitely won’t go there with my coworkers.

Find yourself, be yourself. I have spent most of my life dumbing down to try and fit in socially, it didn't work. About 8 years ago, and ex of mine met a girl I knew years ago, they had a good long conversation that resulted in my ex driving interstate to my home to abuse me for pretending all the years she had known me. She was horrified that there were things in my past that I never bothered to mention and how I always made out I didn't understand certain things. She asked that from then on I be up front and not insult her by hiding my supposed intelligence. It lasted a year or two but since then she seems quite peeved that I am comfortable with things she can't begin to understand. Luckily we only see each other a few times a year. So, Be who you are and say what you feel, because in the end those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter

Contentment with ones true self does seem to leave you standing alone sometimes. When a like minded person is absent there's so much room for reflection, but too much. In TN if I were to be outspoken I'm not certain my stability wouldn't be in jeopardy. That's pretty brave.

I made a promise to my significant (and smarter) other for this new year. Most of the time I feel that I walk amongst well-meaning idiots. My dreams are dominated by similar idiots. What I promised her was to find a community that I can relate to...and behave myself. You'll find many views here.

I am a fellow Buckeye, though I hail from the north. Just today had a "polite" conversation with someone who had to thank the good lord for all the close calls in her life, rather than the professional medical experts who actually did the work. I just nod and smile. You have to know when some people are set in their ways.

The only hard aspect to this site, is most people will end up agreeing with you. We're all preaching to the choir. It is good practice though, every once in a while someone needs to play devil's advocate (haha).

I'm actually fine with that. I hate when the media recapitulates values to get people emotional about them, but if individuals genuinely agree with me, that's cool. I do like a good debate though.

semantics .ethics are for the propagation of the species whereas morals are imposed social constructs used quite often to oppress certain groups

I see what you are saying. My point was that just because we aren't beholden to any deity or single document, it doesn't mean that our behavior doesn't matter.

Welcome!

Welcome to an open and honest freethinker community. Lots of topics for discussion here.

I remember vacationing in Wapakoneta, Ohio with my mom as a kid. Some of their religious and political views were a bit different from ours- to put it mildly. We had to just politely smile and nod. I'm at that stage with Trump supporters now. I really wish they wouldn't engage me in political conversations because they know I am center left and following every single political moment. Eventually, I will crack and tell them they are wrong and quite possibly even stupid. Anyway, you have come to the right place to find like-minded new friends. Welcome aboard.

I talk with a Trump supporter about once a week about politics. I used to think a lot like him. We've been friends since high school, and I'm writing a book about it. I think it's just picking the ones who show some type of dedication to being honest and then really parsing through the details with them. He's said a lot of impressive things up to this point...still a Trump supporter though.

People who show no interest in either politics or philosophy? Is that a buckeye thing? IMHO I think everyone here is happy to be themselves without fear of FB or Cretin backlash.

That's just my immediate social circle. I've went to groups that liked talking about politics and philosophy, but either they were too aggressive for me--that is they were mean when someone disagreed, and would as a groups jump on people--or I can't go any more because I have social anxiety and I had a bad experience with another regular in that group. I've considered that moving might help, but I'm under some pretty hefty life obligations at this point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16946
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.