Agnostic.com

4 0

Okay, this is about lgbt identity, but also about religiosity. I am gay. Though intellectually I can understand the false consciousness involved in queer folk clinging to Christian or Muslim faith out of indoctrination and outright fear of damnation, at a gut level, the self-loathing required to do so will never add up for me. The power of false-consciousness to get people to support their own oppression is just amazing. Did you know, approximately half of all surveyed Americans who identify as lgb or t also identify as religious? That to me is a recipe for a whole heck of a lot of damaged self-worth! Your thoughts?

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't understand people who belong to organizations that are against them.

wow! way to make friends! Although I love your blunt-ness. 😉

Well, this IS a non-religious sight. Isn't that the point? ...that we get to have a space where we, FOR ONCE, don't have to bend over backward to be diplomatic to religious factions that for generations haven't hesitated in the slightest to demonize us and blame us for every conceivable problem in the world! A little bluntness is called for by this point, perhaps even therapeutic for us. ????

I mean "site."

My two cents: I'm in Manhattan and know an awful lot of gay people; I don't know any gay people openly identifying as atheist. I do know quite a few gay men seriously into Mary. I'm guessing it's hard to overcome childhood indoctrination. UCC, UU, Reconstructionist and Reform Judaism are all welcoming of LGB and I guess T and Q as well. What would you say to the proposition that most gay non-atheists would prefer to be welcomed rather than leave a faith?

I think you are absolutely right. I am just venting a smidge, because their insistence on clinging to this system that has been the single biggest weapon for imposing condemnation on them is a stinnong degree of false consciousness.

Honestly, it would surprise me more if they didn't. You need to understand that saying "I'm religious" does not in any way mean they support Christianity or Islam. They may believe in an afterlife or ghosts, or they may believe in Jesus and ignore the parts they don't like. Almost all Christians do that. They pick what they want and ignore the rest. That's why Christianity still exists. If Christians had to believe the entirety of their book very few of them could or would do it, I suspect.

Yes, I get it; the impossible-to-avoid cherry picking of doctrine. And I know many have interpretted scriptures more affirmatively on the question of homosexuality to make it work for them, but they still can't escape the fact of the weight of Christian history, including up to modern times, being so heavily tilted toward condemnation, that even in trying to be gay-positive, many end up tacitly accepting that it is some kind of sin and simply argue "it's no worse than any other sin." That is still so heavy, negative, and destructive to one's self-love efforts. Gay Christians end up looking an awful lot like apologists for the powerful societal institution that has literally called for their destruction and damnation for centuries. It is pitiful.

Saying "I'm religious," in this culture, usually does mean Judeo-Christian or Islamic. Not always, but the the great majority of cases. Otherwise, one is more likely to refer to oneself as spiritual and unaffiliated.

And the ones who DO are all on Facebook, which is why I came here for a little rationality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1703
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.