Agnostic.com

35 4

When to switch primarily identifying as an Agnostic to Atheist?

At what point should a person make their main identifier (regarding the God question at least) be Atheist instead of simply Agnostic?

I'm contemplating the switch myself, but from my background, it would be a pretty substantial one for me to make. So I'd love to hear other peoples' thoughts.

Rhetoric 7 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I called myself an Agnostic for a large part of my life. I didn’t believe in god, and thought the Bible was at best a badly written fictional novel, loosely based on ancien Middle Eastern history. But there were things that happened in my life that random just couldn’t seem to explain. I would call it destiny, but destiny would need a controller, which would lead back to a god, which I couldn’t justify as existing. I also considered Atheists to be the “fundamentalists” of non believers, pushing their non belief on others as Evangelicals pushed Christianity. Then I heard about the chaos theory, which explained things that happened that seemed to not be random, without involving a deity to run things. This, a better understanding of what Atheism is and a more militant view of Christian privilege, allowed me to quite proudly call myself an Atheist! ?

I went from heathen to atheist. I still do some tribal crap

When I told my parents I did not believe in a god they asserted I was "just an agnostic". . At the time I was not aware of the term. When they correctly defined agnostic I firmly asserted, "No. lack a belief in a supernatural sky daddy. I am (not) a theist. Not a theist is an (a)theist." That was many decades ago.

I don't believe but I don't claim to know. I am a political atheist.

Late in life (early fifties) I went from "I really want to believe", to "there's nothing out there".....later was telling my "romantic love" about the experience...and she said "you've always known that"

I've had people try to tell me I'm agnostic because I'm willing to change if offered proof. I tell them I'm an atheist.

I went straight from beliver to atheist. Since I was questioning the bs for the last few years I was a believer. I do wish i had broken away from religious bs earlier in life.

It's quite simple to be honest. For me, I believe there is a creator who's just enjoying his time observing us. Religion and everything is man made crap.

So you can get your answer by asking a simple question - do you think there "might be" a God or not? Yes-you're agnostic, No- you're an atheist.

Just do it and get into reality....

I would say there isn't much of a difference. In actuality agnosticism pertains to knowledge and atheism to belief. Though most people don't know and think agnostic is an inbetween. I take on atheist because it has this rebel feel lol I really don't sure agnostic it just seems like people think you don't really lean one way or another. I'm not all sure there isn't a god but I lean that way. If you choose atheist you just need to be ready for he stigma it comes with. Until people get to know atheist and figure out we are good people really.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:170384
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.