Agnostic.com

8 4

LINK How parents act on their religious beliefs linked to the onset of atheism in their children

People tend to become atheists at a younger age when their religious parents talk the talk but don’t walk the walk, according to new research published in the journal Religion, Brain & Behavior. The study provides evidence that exposure to religiously-motivated actions plays an important role in the onset of atheism.

zblaze 7 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I figured this out when I was 12 and raised Christian by two people who did indeed walk the walk. When plenty of others did not in spectacular fashion.

Quarm Level 6 Mar 5, 2019

Church is where you are exposed to the worst of humanity. I credit the people and staff of the churches I attended growing up with teaching me that god does not exist in any form.

I appreciate the truth of your experience. Me I saw the best and the worst of humanity in and outside the Church. If it taught me anything it was to not assume anything about anyone.

hypocrisy is seen by children, in every way.

Since, it was crammed down my throat growing up, becoming an atheist was the next logical step. Since, my mother implied I was going to hell if I became an catholic. (Most of my family are baptists) That was last straw and I deserve to live my life as I see fit.

Hypocrisy is the greatest advert against religious belief!

I was open with my sons about my atheism. Their mother believed in some vague idea of a deity and an afterlife but was not practicing. An aunt took them to church when they asked to go once but they quickly got bored with it. They got religious education in school. Both passed their exams in religious studies with flying colours. At this precise moment in time i could not tell you what their level of belief is, if any. They are grown men and that is their business, their journey, not mine. ? (They are wonderful, caring, empathetic young men ?).

I think a lot of religious parents leave the religious teachings to the Sunday School Teacher, etc., so it's not always mirrored in the home.

But even in non-religious families, I've got to wonder... When a child learns in school or even on tv in kid's shows, that it's not right to steal, for example, yet the family devises ways to cheat various businesses, by pretending the kids are younger than they are to get in free, and scenarios like that, it teaches kids that there is an ethical standard, but their family doesn't believe in following it, that knowingly breaking ethical standards is okay. There are no consequences. -- But if ethical behavior is modeled at home, then kids at a young age learn that "we" do the right thing.

spare the rod spoil the child supporting beat the kids

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171548
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.