Agnostic.com

11 0

What does it mean if the dating profile says "looking for someone authentic"?

I mean, apart from "don't be a lying sack of shit."

Is there some other meaning to it other than being honest? What exactly is being "authentic?" Being original? Being non-conforming? Deviating from the norm? I personally find this search for "authenticity" rather inauthentic..... What am I missing?

Apart, obviously, from authenticity. 😉

AtheistReader 7 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Vague undefined terms with no other context are worthless. It probably means being a human being, not a computer. 🙂

Perhaps, being a human, instead of an alien, or a microbe ? One can only speculate - huh ?

I think of it as just being honest with not even exaggeration.

Ok. So it is as meaningless as I imagined.

This world will be an awesome place if these dating profiles were in fact true. With so many sincere, genuine, intelligent, compassionate people who love to laugh more than anything else, you would think this dating thing would be a cinch. 😉

Nothing.

I think it means they still have their labels and tags on.

Simply put it means genuine

I would guess that it means "not a phony." But who is going to admit to being a phony?

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 5, 2018

Paging Mr. Caufield. Holden Caufield

No robots.

You have hit the nail on the head. Without defining what the author means by "authentic" there is no definitive way of knowing they the author intends. Words like this are buzz words that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways.

I'm thinking someone who doesn't put on a persona, who is open about what's going on in their head, stuff like that. A "What you see is what you get" person.

Carin Level 8 Sep 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171735
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.