Agnostic.com

12 0

Anybody experienced in dealing with type 2 diabetes?

I've had some of the symptoms for several years now, I guess, but never really paid much attention and dealt with what I now know were fluctuating glucose levels as best I could.
But 9 days ago, my dr told me I have diabetes, and offered a perscription for pills to manage it. I turned it down, and decided to try to control it with diet. He suggested that I lose 30 lbs in the next 18 months, and by eliminating all the fast food, white flour, any added sugar, and red meat (cholesterol) I've lost 8 lbs in 9 days. I've replaced much of the "junk food" with whole grains, veggies, and fish and chicken.
I didn't set out to lose a lot of weight quickly, but that's what has happened, and I've been what I now understand to be extremely hypoglycemic, to the point of missing work.
Any tips on avoiding the sugar crashes, without eating stuff I shouldn't be eating?
TIA

Edit: BTW, I'm 62, and 6' 1" and 222 lbs

JustKip 7 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Having just spoken to my sis her friends a diabetic care nurse apparently the five two diet has a really high success rate for people who do not wish to go on meds maybe check that out

just thought i have a brand new glucose meter with 100 strips if you can't afford one tho it will be set up for uk not usa blood (measurements are different but you could easily convert with online prog im sure) i never use them pisses the consultants over here off no end let me know could send to you next week when i have some cash

its a brand new accu check mobile got it last week at diabetic clinic wouldnt cost me that much to send i reckon

Good for you. You have made the first step to survival - recognition that you have a problem. My wife fought the diagnosis for years -- ended up losing her vision and a kidney before she died -- 20 years lost to incapacitation -- whereas if she had admitted she had a disease and controlled it earlier.... well. that didn't happen.

Keep on w/ losing the weight, getting some exercise helps - even just walking. But as one has already written -- get the meter and strips and test, test, test. IF you find you are not controlling the sugar - TAKE THE MEDS!! The outcome for failure is not pretty. Controlling the sugar can be done - it takes discipline and knowledge -- plenty of it available on the web.

f

p.s. there is no law that says you have to eat red meat, but it really is a lifesaver for me. i love fish and chicken but i am easily bored so once in a while i have some red meat. eating it sparingly shouldn't hurt you, at least not with regard to your blood sugar.

@JustKip that is probably best. i can't afford it in volume anyway but being poor i do go to a food shelf and if they're giving away steak i don't say no! also corned beef brisket is sometimes on sale. however, i suspect that when my guy and i eat beef at a meal, we eat a lot less of it than most americans. i am big big BIG on veggies!

g

The very best thing you can do for yourself is go get a meter and supplies and test!! test!! test!! Then you will know what things make your blood glucose go up. The worst for me are potatoes, bananas, orange juice and grapes. Bread doesn't really make mine go up. Fast food fries make my glucose go up and stay up for a full three days.

You don't need a prescription for the meter or test strips and they come in a wide price range.

i have type 2 diabetes myself.

it is dangerous to lose that much weight that fast! one important thing to do is make sure you're not cutting carbs completely. your body needs some. you just need to limit yourself the person who advised checking the glycemic index was right: some carbs are better than others. it is more important how many grams of carb you eat per meal than how many you eat per day. that is vital to know. plus, you should eat three meals, regularly spaced, with small healthy snacks between. a handful of grapes or almonds work well. blueberries are fabulous.

if the medicine your doctor recommended was metformin, you should probably take it... after your hypoglycemia levels out. it protects some of the organs that diabetes threatens. try to get the time release kind.

as long as you have hypoglycemia, carry a couple of hard candies in your pocket, and/or try to maintain access to a small carton of orange juice. that will keep you from fainting or even going into shock. be careful: one thing i have noticed about hypoglycemics is that one way they keep themselves from passing out is to get the adrenaline going, which means getting really mad, whether or not there is something maddening going on. if you are getting mad and yelling at someone, you're likely in need of a hard candy!

g

@JustKip everyone reacts differently. of course if you're hypoglycemic and going into shock, you want that sugar to go up long enough for you to seek help!

g

Check out www.youngagain.org. You can download a free book by an interesting researcher. There's lots of material about kicking type 2. You might want to add lipoic acid to your supplements. Good luck!

Are you actually hypoglycemic or just feel that way? It’s common for people that have have been hyperglycemiic to feel hypo even when they’re normal. You’re body takes time to adjust. Protein needs to be your friend.. and eating small meals more often.

@JustKip. Your physician should have ordered you a glucometer. At first, you should be checking your sugars frequently(4xday) before each meal and at bedtime. It’ll help you track what’s working and not. The best diet is a high protein, moderate carb, low fat diet. The weight loss will definitely help and hopefully send you into remission. Best wishes

unlikely your going hypo usually requires meds hyper is more likely symptoms inc headaches vision probs lethargy raging thirst constant peeing the 8lbs will most likey be water though if it continues could be another underlying health prob slow release carbs like bananas porridge pulses usually help with sugar crashes a blood glucose meter might be good investment though that may be expensive over in usa free here so we can use them umpteen times a day prol not an option when paying fck knows how much also a retinal neuropathy test might be good idea again i know thats probably expensive but maybe if you have insurance you will be covered it doesnt take long for real damage to be done to your eyes with unresolved diabetic issues from your height weight it looks like maybe 35-45lb weight loss should take you to a safe weight where diet might control the symptoms way better than if you are over weight good luck

@JustKip well keep a close eye on everything worked with a woman who didnt take meds and ignored every fcking symptom she lasted 3 yrs not good years either gangarene in feet due to neuropathy blind in one eye because of bursting blood vessels also remember your body converts everything to glucose a simple sugar fruits especially grapes sultanas dates mangos peaches etc can really raise your blood sugar levels

@JustKip also conversley alcohol raises it fast but it also crashes incredibly fast and don't forget thrush untreated diabetics usually always have it

@JustKip smoke?

@JustKip well then you are ahead of the game health wise eat sensibly excersize daily and keep your gp in the loop for any physical changes

Keep your meals to 60 carbs or less. One 30 carb snack. Watch your sugar intake. My doctor told me I was prediebetic, I reversed it in two months by watching my carbs and sugar.

I keep a supply of fruit cups (in juice, not syrup), and yogurt cups on hand. They come in very handy when I feel a crash coming on.

@JustKip I also keep Greek yogurt and frozen fruit on hand. It satisfies cravings for sweets, provides protein, and makes for a good breakfast, or snack. You can also throw a handful of oats in with it. I try to keep it simple.

I would stick to a whole foods plant based diet. It worked really well for one of my friends. But you have to eat regularly. You can look up Dr. Furman.
[healthline.com]

@JustKip Check with your doctor but I would eat every couple of hours. Just so you don't feel too bad. And good luck!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.