Agnostic.com

63 2

How does one go about being a polite atheist?

If, as an agnostic, atheist, non-believer, or especially anti-theist truly find folly in the belief of deities, spirits, fate, etc.; do you find it difficult to speak of your convictions to those that hold belief central to thier identity? What are some tactics you use to broach the subject as non-offensively as possible, (assuming it isn't inappropriate)?

menathuryn 4 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually don't broach it. I only respond when I see someone preaching lies. If they are willing to listen, we can have a conversation. If they are, as is so often the case, reptiles who don't only worship lies but the act of lying itself, I'll do my best to shut them down or show how dishonest they are to anyone who might be listening.

To be polite to the first, listen patiently and respectfully. If you must be polite to the second, keep your mouth shut. It's the only way s/he won't be offended.

Why would one bother to object to another’s philosophy unless they were proselytising. If a group believe in fairies or ‘Greys’ how does it affect an agonostic or atheist unless they felt threatened. A polite atheist is no different to a polite Christian in essence.

I bite my tongue a lot. I don't get how seemingly perfectly intelligent people are believers.

I think it’s totally fair to discuss atheism on Sunday, since that seems to be the day reserved for the ceremonies of belief.

i don't feel a need to broach the subject. why would i? i don't walk up to strangers and tell them i hate celery, or that i think john wayne couldn't act his way out of air, or that i don't intend to get a haircut ever again, so i wouldn't walk up to them and announce my lack of religious belief for no reason either. i might mention any of those things in an appropriate context: someone tries to serve me celery, or show me a john wayne film, or encounters me while my bangs are growing out and i happen to let out a frustrated yelp and then strengthen my resolve. if someone brings up religion, i am not shy about my lack of belief. in the right context, i might bring it up myself, but i am more likely to bring up politics, as it's on my mind more. this is a nice site on which to discuss such things (and discuss other things with folks who also hold no gods) but the fact of my being here doesn't mean i am obsessed with gods or atheism. it's not as if i have an agenda, like trying to get people to quit their religions. i do have a bit of an agenda regarding people who try to lay their religions on me!

g

Atheism is part of my personal belief system. I never argue the point with anyone.

Very carefully, or not at all

If it is a normal conversation then all the normal rules apply. If you press me or try to put me down for not following the fiction you subscribe to then the gloves come off. Since I live in a very hard core right-wing area the gloves have been placed in the drawer so they'll be clean if I ever get to take them out. I am described at work as the resident atheist.

BillF Level 7 Sep 6, 2018

To be honest I don't I don't spend a lot of time thinking about religion because I don't believe in religion it would be like spending my time trying to convince other people there's no Santa Claus it's a waste of time so what I do is I generally try not to talk about it because they have potential to get very crazy and sometimes violent if you threaten their religion so the best thing to do is leave them alone and try to keep your lips sealed

The charge of being "impolite" or "rude" or "hateful" is itself wrong.

Look closely at what atheists have to say to theists, and apart from a few young hotheads who are just as evident on the theist side, what atheists are doing is simply expressing disagreement -- and not even really voluntary disagreement, since belief is the inevitable result of what you know and how you understand it.

Failing to agree with your beliefs is not "impolite". Its honest. And the appropriate response is to engage substantively and respectfully and honestly with those concerns. Because not doing that would be ... er ... impolite.

It has always been compulsory, although I understand the benefits of being an asshole. I'm not signing up on their team.

It has always been compulsory, although I understand the benefits of being an asshole. I'm not signing up on their team.

Minding your own business & common courtesy.

Excellent summation.

Simple answer quite correct.

I don't know. I never tried. I've never concerned myself with the opinion of grownups who still believe in Santa Claus.

Don't ask don't tell

Always try to be polite - but don't hold back in telling religious people what you think - you have the right to do so - and they have the duty to bear with your different views - don't cave to their bigotry and 'be nice' and let them get away with controlling and limiting you

Politely listen, nod head, say:
I see how much that means to you” (Touching yet wrong)
That’s so interesting” (from a psychological standpoint)
*which book in the Bible does that come from?”(I don’t care, but I can feign interest$
“Yes, I I understand” (but don’t agree)
“Do you take a lot of comfort in (fill gap)? (See, I sound like I care)
I do it daily with a kindly smile on my face and really listen. Takes 10 mins, and it makes people feel good about themselves.

Livia Level 6 Sep 6, 2018

Those willing to discuss, will bring it up. Otherwise any criticism you have for religion, will fall on deaf ears.

Marz Level 7 Sep 6, 2018

I just let them know that it's quite possible to be a good person without a belief in a god, and that I'm a living example, as are many others.

I compliment them on being a good person, but remind them it is within their own power CHOOSE to adhere to what they know is right (not necessarily from the bible - maybe from kindergarten or Mister Rogers) and that I admire the beauty in their own personality that keeps them on this beautiful humanistic or humanitarian path they are on.

Don’t brooch the subject. I wouldn’t dream of attempting to push my lack of belief on people, any more than I would welcome them trying push their beliefs onto me. I’m all for intelligent discussion if someone raises the subject but not for preaching, not from either point of view.

The same as leading with a different culture, you don't need to cite atheism or complain for any bless yu that you hear, those are in most of times meaningless and just linguistical expressions.
I just use the atheist card when directly questioned or when I see some action/decision/judgement that was made on religious bases and can harm someone, then I just invite the person to think if he/she is allowed to force their world view on another person. And as most people I deal with are christians, in the christianism itself is said to talk about Jesus and if the other people don't want, go away, don't force. So Even in religion it is stated that you can't force, why are you doing this?

I have had Morman friends that we would get together and eat, they would want bless the food, and I would just quietly bow head just out of respect for their personal beliefs. They knew I was agnostic, they never tried to convert me, and had many intellectual conversations. They always invited me to their neighborhood picnics they had every year, and always treated me with respect. I look at it as different strokes for different folks🙂 Live and let live

Same tactic as ever.... Tell them what they want to hear. I am not confrontational about it, ever...... Everybody wins

"There is no polite way to suggest to someone that they have devoted their life to a folly." ~Daniel C. Dennett.

I don't try to convice anyone anymore . If possible , I smile and walk away . If situation such That i can't walk away AND after I state that gods and devils not my problem in life , then I say as less as possible and let them talk and preach . Eventually they zip mouths . U know . Nothing to feed the fire...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.