Agnostic.com

19 4

Is religion or spirituality okay as a coping mechanism?

On one hand, prayer facilitates inaction. On the other, it can help people to accept what is truly out of their hands. If spirituality is strictly kept to oneself, are you okay with it?

• 28 votes
  • 19 votes
Heathen1997 5 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as you aren't forcing it on anyone else, hopefully you will grow out of it.

marym Level 4 Sep 19, 2018

I would say no, because spirituality and religion are the same thing, regardless what people will say. And if you follow that you are following a lie. Learn to cope with life, life is hard and there are techniques to help you through the tough times, lying to yourself and other is not one of those techniques. Cheers

Religion no. Spirituality yes. The former is for others to dictate your life whilst the latter is for you own inner peace and self determination.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I think that religion or spirituality is a way of avoiding reality. My favorite coping mechanism is ice cream.

Everyone copes in their own way

I see it almost like a drug. some use is ok to help with whatever it may be your going through, but be mindful that it can be very addictive.

"is strictly kept to oneself" is the main point of this for me. I don't care what anyone does to make it through their day, so long as they aren't telling other people how to make it through theirs.

I knew someone who was recovering from a thyroidectomy who had terrible brain calcium crashes for a while that would leave her muscles siezing up. She would recite the rosary when that happened not, she said, because she was praying, but because the rhythm and cadence of the words best helped her to breathe through it until it passed. If folks want to have religion in their personal mental toolbox for dealing with what life throws at them, I'm not going to tell them no as long as they keep it to themselves.

I have always thought ritual in some forms is like meditation. I know I can allow my body to do different things by meditating on it act needed. Like headaches, hiccups, lowering blood pressure and slowing breath.

Absolutely it is okay. I don't use it personally but if it allowed another person to cope with a difficult situation then who am I to say that they're coping wrong?

IMO, no. It's a crutch, get off it.

but who are we to control how other people cope? if they really, truly DO keep it to themselves.... well, i might still think someone silly for being religious (especially since religious people tend NOT to keep it to themselves) but then, have you ever seen the film "harvey?" we can't force other people to do our bidding -- isn't our main complaint about religion that religionists try to force their will on us? if they don't, they it's just like watching someone eat a food you don't like, or listen to music that you find obnoxious.

g

p.s.

@genessa I didn't say that I want to control how anyone copes. Personally I'd take a painful truth over a convenient lie. Others can do whatever they'd like, but there's no rug that can be pulled out from beneath me that affects how I can cope.

@mattersauce fair enough, but the question was if it was kept strictly to onself. we already know we're not talking about ourselves (or we probably wouldn't be here) so that means we're talking about "is it okay for others" if they keep it to themselves. so that means it IS a question about trying to influence, if not control, others.

g

@genessa The question didn't speak to influence or control:

Is religion or spirituality okay as a coping mechanism?
On one hand, prayer facilitates inaction. On the other, it can help people to accept what is truly out of their hands. If spirituality is strictly kept to oneself, are you okay with it?

So no, I'm not okay with it but I also have no interest in influencing or controlling anyone. I'll simply accept that these people rely on a lie to cope.

I think people do the best they can with the tools they have. (I work with children with disabilities and this has become my life motto for every interaction I have.)

I work with the same population. And I keep that in mind when dealing with the parents.

Yay for you and people like you. You are the angels that make life a bit more bareable for the parents of these children. Thank you, from a parent of a special needs child, now 36 and thriving.

A person may find comfort in religion, but I think it is better if they choose to face life's realities. Retreat into delusion is not a positive solution.

you might think differently if you worked with hospice patients?

@sapiofile There is always an exception to every rule. I was speaking in generalities.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to indulge in religion, spirituality or the likes.
I do understand that it could be a coping mechanism......sometimes I wish I believed just for that reason.
However, I do have a problem with those who insist that I should believe as they do. When their beliefs affect me and my life then thats when I get pissed off.

I have no problem with spirituality. Spirituality doesn't necessarily include the belief in a sky daddy. Sometimes l wish l had those feelings. Religions are about control, which leads to divisions, which leads to conflict.

Spiritually doesn't need to have anything to do with Gods or religion. I'm spiritual. I pray to myself. My inner me is my God, and I speak to that.

Everyone is different. It's not because I don't believe in God or religion that I have the right to impose my beliefs on people. If that works for someone, fine by me. My freedom ends where thy one begins and vice versa.

If it works, it works.

Even when religion leads to people killing one another over their different delusions and imaginary friends?

@LenHazell53 The question was, "Is religion or spirituality okay as a coping mechanism? ". My response was to that questionly ONLY.

It's using your imaginary friends to fix your real world problems lol.

Using religious lies as a coping mechanism is simply replacing a problem with a delusion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.