Agnostic.com

11 4

Meetup Groups for Singles - Why so Religious?

I love Meetup.com. I recently searched for "singles" groups.... many of the top singles groups were specifically for religious people. Titles like "Singles for Christ", "Conservative Christian Singles", and "Holiness is HOTT! Singles" (I promise you that last one is 100% real.) And this was just in a 25 mile radius of where I live. Not one atheist/agnostic singles group.

Is there something about Christianity that inspires such a need for such groups? Do they need to hunt for a mate in packs?

Does anyone else who uses Meetup feel frustrated by this?

tornsculpture 4 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I bagged all of the dating sites as the degree of religiosos was repugnant. I spent my time screening them out & the remaining prospects were to be nice, PSYCHOS! I specifically would insist on NO Xtians & they would once again try & save my soul. It's my soul damn it. Leave it alone. Godding here & godding there all the time. Couldn't stand it. Pea brains. Now I understand why Trumpty Dumpty loves the "poorly educated". Easily duped. Why do they wear that instrument of torture around their neck. And that "My Pillow" guy has that cross prominently hanging out of his shirt. Damned if I buy one of his pillows. Sorry. I am on a rant. =0}

I sometimes wonder whether there's a shred of doubt in many of them. So being surrounded by other believers makes believing in a fairy tale a little less uncomfortable

There are so many religious singles groups because of the 2 Corinthians 6:14 verse-"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers."

Of course, they ignore 1 Corinthians 11:10 that commands women to cover their heads (wear a veil) and also to be married, have children, stay at home, don't talk in church, don't have authority over men, be obedient to husbands, etc.

They just pick out verses that benefit the church..like keeping the church members in the church.

When I was still in the church I made my dating profile to be looking for a man who was a Christian, but I soon found out that was a BAD thing. They seemed to often be low in intelligence, intolerant, misogynistic, were poorly educated, and most of all..boring.
The kind, nonjudgmental people who were fun to be with, were usually non-religious.

So now, if someone I'm considering for a date claims to be a Christian, I cross them off the list.

????

@Dr_Plum I don't date religious people, unless they are ambivalent about their beliefs. I've had enough religion for a lifetime.

I still don't know why it posted only question marks.
I can tell you that i too learned a bit ago that dating practicing believers is always a dead end. ????

There are groups for many things on MeetUp. I've seen atheist groups but have not yet rejoined anything. Transportation helps.

I'm in an atheist meetup group. It's awesome being around "my people."

"Is there something about Christianity that inspires such a need for such groups?"

Because no human would believe such things on their own. They NEED the group-think to justify their beliefs.

Churches don't really provide the environment for dating, because they want the women to be married to the church as singles and the men to be side dudes until they are married. Dating is not really embraced. That opens the door to a cluster fuck of closet activities with Christians, hence all of the "out of church" meet ups. Also, consider that churches are very territorial, so the likelihood of churches coming together for the sole purpose for finding mates for its members is slim to nill.

I don't currently have the app installed. I did at one point in time.

There is something in the bible about being "evenly yoked"... old tribal thinking 😛 They seek like minded as we here likely do. I know I would like to be "evenly yoked" to someone who does not believe in a sky fairy 😉

@Stevil matching Clydesdales??? 😛

@Stevil Evenly Yolked is the name of my Kentucky-based restaurant franchise.

I do. All there is in my area are groups, that focus on religion or on recovery from drugs or alcohol. I am sick of it. I have never done an illegal drug in my life, I quit drinking over 20 yrs ago.

It's sad, pathetic and frustrating indeed. Especially when you live in the bible belt

I'm in the bible belt too and although I'm not sad or pathetic, I'm definitely frustrated

I don't even live in the Bible Belt. I live in California. I can't imagine how stifling it must be where you live.

I follow a few groups and meet with one occasionally but it's definitely not a singles group. It's all couples, older folks or super uber nerds that are beyond my nerd assimilation skills.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17324
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.