Agnostic.com

10 0

What’s the big deal about bras?

I truly do not understand why women still wear bras. Except for the fact they want to look a certain way. But why do we have to “cover up and hide”? They’re not sexual organs. We come with them, it’s not like we asked for them. They serve an actual life sustaining purpose. Bras are uncomfortable and probably cause cancer. Why do some of us women feel we must subject ourselves to society’s expectations? I hate bras! How do you feel about them?

JLove3 4 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

bras do not in any way, shape or form cause cancer. uncomfortable they certainly are. i gave them up in 1971. if i were a runner, i might feel differently and wear a stretchy sports bra just to keep from hurting myself. i'm not a runner. a nurse has answered below with two good reasons why she wears a bra. one has to do with practicality (not teat-smacking the patients) and one is personal preference (not wanting her nipples to show; some mind and some don't mind; i myself don't wear thin white blouses so i'm fine). not everyone has the same size or density of breast either. what is uncomfortable for some of us may provide comfort for someone with a different build. i am against bras for myself but i am not going to criticize other women for making a different decision.

i feel differently, though, about makeup and about high heels. high heels are designed to make a woman's legs look unnatural in a way that men apparently find attractive; we've been trained to find that attractive in ourselves too, but the real purpose of high heels is the same as the real purpose of foot-binding in china: to keep a woman from being able to run away from men. of course that is by no means the conscious purpose anymore; shoe manufacturers probably don't say "ah HA, this will make her more rapable!" nonetheless, that's where they come from and that's their real purpose. as for makeup, we must exaggerate our features to attract men. no matter that we look like clowns and hide whatever real beauty we might actually have. we're trained to see ourselves as ugly, unkempt and unavailable, even, with bare faces. we think we're doing it for ourselves. we don't necessarily think "oh i'd better put on my face or no man will ever love me." we think "oh i look terrible, let me put on my face."

bras? i can't stand them but i'm not going to attribute bad motivations to whoever invented them. it was probably a woman who was trying to keep her heavy teats from hurting as gravity tugged at them.

g

I am a D . I work as a nurse in a emergency / trauma response . I need my boobs tghtr and not on anybody's face when over patients and / or running around like a chicken w it's head off . Bra provides support and also I have no desire for the whole world to look at my nipples . I have no clue where u got your facts that bras cause cancer ? Are u trying to educate women about bras or do u think u ve been forced to wear one ? I am not sure I understand your post / problem .

I hate bras. They are off as soon as I get home. I can get away with no bra most of the time but understand women with large heavy breasts need the support. I like sports bras for exercise and dance. I wear some styles of bras like push up ones to enhance if I wear dressy clothes. But I can get away with tops and dresses with light padding for the breasts and find those most comfortable.

Oh honey...i was a big DD or more for 69 years, had to wear a bra or wobble all over plus back pain! Now a bitty B and So Happy without a bra! But believe me, they were needed!

Life is pretty painful for me without one. These heavy-ass things need to be supported other they'll pull my spine out of place.

@JLove3 wait a couple years....gravity does not rest!

@JLove3, @AnneWimsey actually, they've been doing this since my late 20s/early 30s. They're DDDs and very dense. ☹️ I had reduction surgery and then started b/c and they grew back. I only wish I was kidding.

@memorylikeasieve they grew back??! I Hate hearing you say that, I just spent a bunch of bucks, never worrying about that!

Some of us want/need the support . Kind of depends on your size . Gravity exists .

@JLove3 time will take care of that if you fail to provide support against insidious gravity!

Bras do NOT cause cancer:
[cancercouncil.com.au]

Bras create shape and structure under clothing. Wearing a bra protects me from staring and ridicule.

In my 20s, I was having a glass of wine with the YMCA Camp director when he called me "Nipples."

"What did you call me?" I ask suspiciously. "Did you just call me Nipples?"

Mike shamefacedly admitted that was my joke name among (so-called) professional men in the Seattle YMCA.

I have been wearing a lightly padded bra ever since.

@Paracosm

Exactly.

Boyfriends pressure me to go braless. I would feel embarrassed.

"Not in public," I insist. "Only in the privacy of the boudoir."

Who is forcing you (or anyone else) to wear one?

Bras prevent sagging, I like them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:173269
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.