Agnostic.com

4 1

Faith Lost

Which of these three caused you to lose faith if you at one point had faith to lose?

• 0 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 9 votes
Ryan4121 2 Sep 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I assume of course you're referring to loss of religious faith. Colloquial faith (trust based on experience) is actually something I have more of since losing religious faith (belief in the unsubstantiatable).

My loss of religious faith was not so much bad things happening as bad things happening when good things were predicted or even promised by my religious dogma of choice. This in turn serves as evidence that god is, at the least, indifferent to human suffering. Which leads to religious people defending a god who was, at best, not benevolent, and at worst, cruel.

Being born into a religion (Mormon), I was always doubtful about religion.

I did go through periods, as a child and in my teens, where I tried to believe, but belief just never came for me.

No faith to lose.

Gohan Level 7 Sep 7, 2018

only other fits the bill, the others not only were not my reason for losing faith, and not only were they not in play in my life regardless of whether they were the cause, "losing faith" does not accurately describe what happened to me.

first i'll start with the general and then i'll drill down to myself.

if bad things happening was a legitimate reason to lose faith, religion would have fallen by the wayside eons ago. i think faith is often a coping mechanism for people to deal with bad things, not something people give up when life turns ugly.

how can there be proof god doesn't exist? there would also have to be proof the tooth fairy doesn't exist. it's a nonissue.

religious people doing bad things doesn't redound to the deity of their choice unless that deity reveals itself and confirms the order. besides, my cats are atheists and they are sometimes naughty.

okay now for me: i was raised as a secular jew. judaism itself relies very little on actual faith as christians know it. there is no basic "shut up and pray" thing going on. questioning is a natural part of judaism. some of the best chassidic stories involve humans having arguments with god! so there was no "faith" for me to lose, per se. what happened was that i found out that what i had been told, and believed, about a completely different matter was wrong, and i decided to reexamine all the things i took for granted. as i like to say, god went out the window pretty early on. there was no trauma involved. i didn't need a reason. i'm not mad at god (or oliver twist or golem, but if you see that tooth fairy, you tell her she owes me!) nothing HAPPENED. i just realized i'd been told there was a god and that just clearly wasn't so. it was as simple as that.

g

p.s. i am sorry i keep picking on the tooth fairy. it's just so easy!

Thank you for sharing! I feel as if you broadly fall under the "more proof god doesn't exist than does" category...but maybe not!

@Ryan4121 well... not really, because there is no proof that god, or golem, or (oh brother, am i gonna mention her again?) the tooth fairy don't exist either. it's just so evident that these are made-up things, it would be a waste of time to go searching, you know? we'd have to be searching for every made-up thing in the world. people would make more stuff up to keep us busy disproving them! okay folks, this week we have the dish that ran away with the spoon. now go out and find proof that never happened! you can SEE it's a story. it's impossible, it's silly and it makes no sense. one doesn't have to go find proof.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:173330
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.