Agnostic.com

7 0

Correlation between success of relationships/friendships and region you're from?

I'm pretty sure that my speculation isn't founded in anything scientific, but what do you think? Do you think that you have more successful relationships and friendships based on the region of the country you're from and its ensuing culture? I ask, because I know for certain that my real life friends dropped me because of income disparity. Despite the fact we became roommates so I could help them financially, they accused me of being a financial burden on them. I bought my own groceries, household supplies and paid the rent with not much for myself..but okay ? I also lost a burgeoning polyamorous relationship, because he was expecting a child with his wife (more like forced to keep the child by her), despite having severe fiduciary issues. That took a very devastating toll on him emotionally and mentally, so he had to vanish. Thus taking our romance with it. I just noticed that my longest, most unconditional, loving and loyal friends aren't from my region, The Southern United States. My best relationships aren't with men born and raised here, because they were northern transplants. It's known that the South has been limping along economically for years. It's also a nest for conservative thinking and political ideology. Do you think that has an influence? Not to say that there's no poverty and conservative thinking in North and western US, but my friends from that area seem to have long lasting and happy marriages, and friendships from when they were teenagers. I don't know anyone from my youth. I haven't had a long-term relationship in five years. Is there a correlation? Any thoughts?

Stepmomofdragons 7 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems you are dealing with a limited sample size. I'm not sure that the region of the country, or world for that matter, that you come from affects how successful your relationships are. It may impact how long people stay together, but that in and of itself is not necessarily a sign of a successful relationship. Having said that, I've never had a long term relationship with anyone from the same part of the country as I am. They all came from different regions.

OK.

pause

It is not really a region thing as far as racism goes.

At least not anymore.

I see more racism when I go back up north (Ohio/PA/WV) than I do down here in the Georgia/SC I have lived in and loved since 1985. The bulk, heavy side of my life.

And maybe because I live in a coastal area now with tourism and everything.

However.

I also have lived inland.

Where the onions grow Where the peaches grow.

I have seen Hispanic men physically locked in a cage in the back of a pickup truck.

I think lots of it is more socioeconomic related than regional. The breakups you reference were all partly based on money and financial disparity.

If people haven't traveled or been to college maybe they stay mired in whatever the cultural ideology was in the family / town / region of origin. Many people grow up in the foster system or are abused and so on. I don't think you can make generalizations about relationships based on region.

My most satisfying and long relationships are with people who are somewhat like me, smart, well-educated, reasonably well traveled, in a similar ballpark fiscally, and intellectually curious. I know people from elementary school and from all over but my closest friends all live around Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, and Victoria.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the South. But if it makes you feel better, I know lots of people in crappy relationships in the West.

Good luck! I'm sure you can find what you want, even in the South.

The South is a huge and diverse region of over 120 million people, more than the Northeast and Midwest combined. Every conceivable personality type, every political and religious opinion is present, along with every level of education and economic achievement.

You can find whatever you are looking for in the South.

@Hercules3000 [pewforum.org]

If you click on the above link you'll see a rating of various religious practices and values in the South. Under each table is a tab to click on and see how the various regions compare in religious practices. If you look you'll see that while the South is indeed more religious, the differences among the regions are not very great.

Your experience is your experience, and I respect that. However, I have moved back home to a very rural part of Alabama, and in fourteen years not one local person has approached me about religion. I have a small group of neighborhood friends and not one of them is a believer in Christian doctrines.

That is my experience in my neighborhood. Things might be different elsewhere in the South.

The real correlation is whether your friends are compatible with you or not. The odds of good compatibility are probably correlated with subculture they come out of, which is primarily ideological and secondarily regional.

@Stepmomofdragons Lol ... well it's not surprising that money is (at least) as big of a stumbling block to getting along in polyamory as in conventional relationships. While I've been in many ways unlucky in love, the bullet I've consistently dodged is partners who are financially immature / irresponsible / undisciplined. I've always been able to share finances without the slightest concern for how my partner would handle themselves with respect to money, or that they might disrespect my shared rights to financial resources. When you have more than 2 parties sharing financial resources then you arithmetically increase the odds of conflict, though. Some couples find it works better to keep finances separate; I would imagine that the polyamorous would tend find this even more important??

Not everyone who enters our lives is meant to remain in our lives.
I don't think it has anything to do with where anyone lives.

I have extremely close friends (20 years, or more) who live in different parts of the country. I lived in Gainesville for nearly 30 years, and my best friend is still there.
Another of my best friends and I met in G'ville, 25 years ago. I'm in Georgia and he's in California. I lived in Maine for 8 years and have maintained a number of the friendships I cultivated while living there.

Building and maintaining friendships has fuckall to do with where you are, and everything to do with WHO you are, who you invite into your life, and just how
much effort everyone is interested in putting into the relationship.

@Stepmomofdragons I didn't get that impression at all. You asked for thoughts. I gave some of mine. When I say "you" in most of my comments, it's a general "you", not a you-you.

I lived in Georgia for more than a decade and found that for the most part, whether relationships, attractions, or just friendships, I was more often drawn to people who came from other regions of the country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174392
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.