Agnostic.com

13 2

How to grieve after a passing of a loved one.

Since most people will turn to whoever their faith relies on or beilef in God, how do you process/grieve after a passing of someone who was close to you? Do you process by being close with family and friends? Ignoring the scenario all together? What can you rely on when handling something severe as this?

ChrisOlesky777 3 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try to spend a lot of time around people. It would be easy to go hide, but I had been doing that already when taking care of my wife. I knew that wasn't working, but I had no choice at the time.

Number 1. You can't ignore it. Number 2. Religion and belief has no impact on grief or the ease in dealing with it. Here's how you deal with grief... if it hurts, cry your heart out. At some point the tears will become less, the head will begin to process reality again and you will have a choice to make. Remain sad, or find your happiness again. Thats it in a nutshell. Oh, and the bottom line is that you have NO ONE to rely on during these times. You are all you truly have that will relate to YOUR pain.

Since, I don't have waste my time praying to something that don't exists, helps some. I will be relying on the support of this community to help with lose of a loved one. When, the time comes.

I rely on friends and family for comfort. I wish there were better answers. Whether a person has religion to lean on or not, time is the only balm for grief, unfortunately.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 12, 2018

My boyfriend died suddenly in front of me. I tried CPR but it didn't work. It was a widow Maker heart attack. It's been 7 years and I still grieve. I use nature to help connect me to the bigger pictures in life. I don't like to talk about it but I will talk to his picture. I thought about going back to Catholic church after 20 years but then I checked myself. Grief is isolating, it changes you forever. You must learn how to live again... Slowly.

Mlaw Level 2 Sep 11, 2018

I am so sorry. What a tragic experience to endure.

My generally method is 24-72 hours of full-on wallowing (depending on fondness level) followed by about 6 months of blahs or low level depression. I've never lost a partner or child, so I don't know what I'd do then. I can honestly say that I missed my cat, who was present in my life daily, more than my mother who I saw 2-3 times a year and talked to on the phone approximately once a month.

i don't understand what god has to do with it. if you do not think any gods exist does that mean you are not sad when a loved one dies? does it mean you are alone? how do people who DO believe in god grieve? isn't it the same? i don't get it. i'm not trying to be snarky. i honestly don't get it.

g

Such a difficult and complex question. It totally depends on the individual and all of their psychology and everything in their history up to and including now. I get by with feeling like I am glad they don't have to suffer or deal with bullshit anymore. But that's specific to me. I know that memories keep people alive for others, as to rituals, like making their favorite foods, visiting special places, etc.

Why you have to grieve by going or looking to someone else? You grieve in your realm.

Allowing trusted friends and loved ones to offer comfort is beneficial for all involved.

Theists process grief the same as everyone else does; they just have a level of useless abstraction overlaying it. You process loss exactly as thanatology (the study of grief and loss) specifies, it is a process of your subconscious spoon-feeding your new reality to you in doses you can (hopefully) handle until you integrate your "new normal" into your life.

My son died just over 2 years ago and it was my first of my many bereavements where I was totally self-identified as an atheist. My prior wife's death 11 years ago was in the late transitional phase out of theism. My oldest brother and mother died when I was still nominally religious, albeit "backslidden". These are the four "before their time" losses not involving "natural causes" that I've experienced.

Comparing those experiences, my son's death was rawer, but less complicated and more rapidly resolved. I was completely free and clear of the useless angsty questions a believer is obliged to wrestle with: whether some spiritual inadequacy of oversight on your part and/or the deceased caused the loss; how to reconcile such a terrible loss with the supposed empathy, benevolence and mercy of god; why various prayers were not answered as expected or desired, and a whole lot more. I was also free of all the assumptions of what I was entitled to: god's love, protection, strength, guidance ... none of that had to be rationalized. Let me tell you, it's much better that way.

At some level, even as a believer, I knew I'd never see these people again. Otherwise why would I grieve? Just because of my selfish need to have their companionship now? I am not convinced anyone really believes they will literally see their loved ones again. Believers grieve and mourn deeply, "move on" and remarry or have more children or find surrogate mentors / parents / whatever ... they honor the memory of lost loves but don't behave as if they literally believe those special relationships are merely "on hold" until pie-in-the-sky-by-and-by. Widows don't seem to think they'll have any 'splainin' to do or have to figure out joint living arrangements when they eventually die and have to deal with the fact of two (or more) spouses. That's just silliness.

So ... I handle it like a believer is obliged to handle it, I accept the unacceptable and I rely on myself and whatever mental and emotional resilience I possess. But I don't have to reconcile that with some asserted dogma that tells me how I'm supposed to feel or think about it.

Wow, thank you for this explanation. I wish I would have read this when I lost my unborn son at 8 months pregnant 6 years ago.

@Ashxoleyxo I'm so sorry you experienced that terrible loss, but I'm glad you found what I said helpful. Every loss is, of course, different, and everyone experiences loss differently. Its just that when believers think god is giving them special protection and guidance, they tend to attach to particular outcomes and story arcs more. This might help one worry less about what bad things might or might not happen. But when bad stuff happens anyway, it actually makes matters worse, because now your unrealistic expectations of life have been violated -- and in a very personal and hurtful way.

It sounds like you have a lot of inner strength. I don't always agree with the "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" mindset, but there are times when tragedy shows us that we are far stronger than we could have imagined. That knowledge can sometimes be comforting.

@Deb57 Lol. I actually like Scott Adams' take on it (author of Dilbert): "That which doesn't kill me makes me angry and weak". I believe suffering always diminishes the sufferer, whether or not it's fully apparent to anyone (including the sufferer). Suffering is not ennobling and it's never to be embraced as a necessary price of having any good. That's just a failure of imagination, because we're so inured to suffering and can't fully escape it. It also often serves as a reason to not be empathetic or compassionate, to distance ourselves from other's suffering because it makes us uncomfortable and it's easier to assume it's All Their Fault Somehow, or Not My Responsibility to be present for them.

It is true that I was stronger than I knew, but that strength could have better been used for other things than dealing with tragic losses.

That said, I don't know that I have unusual amounts of inner strength, so much as no choice but to integrate my losses and carry on. It's literally either that or swing from the nearest rafter. I suppose at some point one gets to that place, but I'm not there yet. I'm also too cussed ornery and curious to give up. Also, increasingly, I see my past hopes and dreams as largely illusory anyway. It's easier to let go of things that were never meant to be anyway. You can't endlessly mourn the loss of something that wasn't really yours to begin with, e.g., the "spiritual poker chips" I thought I could cash in to avoid really awful and unthinkable events were never real anyway. Expecting god's protection and grace in exchange for your fealty / obedience is a fool's errand. So initially it was disillusioning, but only in the way that a child is disillusioned to discover there's no tooth fairy.

Honestly not sure what comfort “god” provides, all the perceived comfort offered by religion is either in reality offered by the community, or completely false.
That said, family and friends, allowing yourself to grieve, to feel sad, to remember, and yes sometimes staying active, finding things to do to keep your mind off it, not necessarily to ignore it but to help the grief take up less space
Personally I have found constructing a monument of some kind, not necessarily a grave stone or something so obvious, but how about finishing a project the deciesed was working on, or something they had always planned on doing. When my dad passed I finished clearing some trees he had been working on to crest a new vegetable garden for my mom. Not only was it nice for mom, but I got to do one last project with dad......

I shut down, isolate myself, process my grief alone… not that it's necessarily healthy to do it that way, but I don't really have the tight social support network that a lot of other people rely upon and, even if I did, I'm not comfortable going to others with that sort of raw pain (especially when I don't yet have a good handle on what I'm feeling). So, while it works for me, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who can open up to friends and family.

Eventually , after the shock has passed and reality sinks in , at some unexpected private moment , the tears will come . Generally speaking , past that point , life goes on .

A favorite song she liked,perfume she wore,an article of clothing you bought for her(speaking for my late wife's loss Sept 13,2017). The tears are less now,thoughts of what's next cross my mind sevral times a day.

Where I'm staying, the Woman who shared the house with her Son suffered her own loss when he went to help a Woman move last Sunday night, but did not come home,his body was found shot and he died, the Police are still investigating so no report yet ,but the Woman who shot him is jailed on a high bond.

@Mike1947 No good deed goes unpunished .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174933
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.