Agnostic.com

34 3

If you could pump enormous amounts of money into scientific research, what would it be for?

AMGT 8 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Self-Improving Artificial Intelligence. Sure it might be the downfall of the human race, but in its place will be a far more intelligent race with more potential than we would ever have. Bonus points if we're able to integrate it with our own minds, creating an interconnected human hive mind.

Longevity.

skado Level 9 Jan 23, 2018

Stem cell research.

Affordable bionics, because my knees are F'ed! 😀

But seriously, imagine the practicalities of exoskeletons, perfect eyesight, limb replacements, limb enhancements, brain implants.

We can produce as much food and address practically poverty right now. We have never experienced this much abundance of food, wealth and information ever.

If I had enormous amounts of money to aid scientific research, it would not all go to one place but would be spread among several areas.

Space exploration and associated technologies

Genetic applications in medicine

Nanotechnology with an emphasis on medicine

Robotics and artificial (I prefer the word 'synthetic) intelligence

Astronomy and associated disciplines

Cures in the area of mental health issues

A virus strain that wiped out stupidity.

I mean, I like it, but it'd probably kill me.

I consider this an important issue, but as a goal I submit that it is unattainable. Just as life will find a way, so will stupidity. I maintain that ignorance is tolerable because it is a condition that can be fixed. Stupidity on the other hand is a state of being and cannot be fixed. I have known some highly intelligent people who were incredibly stupid and insisted on remaining so.

food and clean water? natural medicines. the best recliner ever.

Where does one begin? Disease cures and prevention. Space travel. Dealing with climate change (forget trying to reverse it, that ship has sailed, cheaper to deal with it). The list would be extensive, there are so many worthwhile pursuits.

Space exploration and Terra-forming.

Mee too. I think generally speaking, humanity is best when we're on the move.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17592
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.