Agnostic.com

8 12

I've noticed several people here use 'out' or 'not out' frequently to describe themselves concerning their atheism (or whatever their unpopular religious/non-religious views are) and I have to acknowledge that, I myself, though never having described myself in such a way, have often been hesitant to 'out' myself in mixed company for fear of being attacked. When I thought about this, I realized that this small facet of my life has given me insight into the lives of other people who daily live in fear. I grew up a punk in a redneck town so I was in fear of being beat up a lot, but I'm not sure that really gave me any kind of inkling of what it is like to be a person in a threatened class. I'm a straight, white male in America. What do I have to fear? Not much. I've always been empathetic to others who are in threatened classes, but I could never have a true concept of their daily lives... being black, or one of the 'unwanted immigrants', or gay, or a woman... always under threat... always on guard... always afraid. You live in a world of cold fear and I just realized that I felt the tiniest of cold breezes penetrate my safe, warm cocoon. Do I know, now, how it feels to be you? Not in the least, but I realize now just how much I DON'T know about you and your struggles daily, and if and when I've ever been part of the problem, I want to apologize. I'm sorry. I can't fix anything for you, but I'll stand with you... I'll try to be a shield for you. That's all I can do. I wish it was more.

DobbinPitch 6 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good post, Dobbin. As a "white guy" who has not really ever felt mortally threatened in my life, I can relate to what you have said here. I also have what I think of as an innate sense of justice, and get angry if/when I see or hear of injustices inflicted upon others. That sense is the ONLY facet of my life I have ever been able to relate to astrology, since I'm a Libra. But I don't really put stock in that stuff.

I have for many years consciously tried to navigate the world (the relatively small portion I've traveled in, at least) in such a way as to not provoke violence, or ill feelings toward myself yet, at the same time project an image of someone you don't want to screw with, even though I consider myself to be "a lover, not a fighter." I usually just amend that feeling to one of people just don't see me as anything of the sort, and really, in genrral, probably don't "see"me at all.

BTW, much of my working career was in Employee/Labor Relations, and there were many times I had to stick up for and defend, or represent relatively powerless people. That part of the job was very fulfilling; so, I get the last little bit you tagged on there in your post. Good on you.

The only reason I'm not "out" is because in my emotionally incestuous, codependent family we have an old, emotionally immature, overbearing holy roller who would have an apoplectic fit if I disagreed with the party line--and then I'd be the bad guy, with everyone, for making this person upset. FML.

That sucks.

I really hate that people can't be open about their doubts, or lack of belief, without fear of reprisal. I understand feeling the need to stay quiet. I also understand the need for some to be open with their lack of belief. I'm one of those. Sure, there's been flack and backlash, but that doesn't stop some of us. And it's okay. That's how change is made. As more of us feel emboldened to be open, the stigma will diminish. These things take time. As long as we are supportive of one another, we'll all be okay.

Nice post thinking of others. Good thoughts

People do not like change or taking on ideas that they have not been involved with from the start . This difficulty of coming out over everything is strange because most people who do come out say how much better they feel, but then if coming out is not successful we probably would not hear about it.

I wear an atheist "A" badge or pin on my coat, so my views are plain to see. It gets noticed. Occasionally someone will ask what the A stands for and I say "assh----" and then laugh. (Well it's sort of true.) Then I explain what it means. I'm fortunate I don't live in a country where being that open might bring consequences. I'm amazed when I read here about people who live in Bible Belt places where being outed as an atheist might cost them their jobs or similar. To have fear like that in this day and age is inexcusable.

i was never in

I don't wear a shirt that says "ATHEIST" on it but I make no secret of my lack of belief. This has cost me a few potential relationships, but they would never have been serious if it was going to be an issue.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.