Agnostic.com

9 1

Do humans have a right to ignorance?

Really, religion is born from ignorance and we have a freedom of religion and a freedom from religion.

But now that we largely know and understand that religion is based on ignorance.

Do humans really have a right to remain ignorant? Willfully ignorant?

Normanbites 7 Sep 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unfortunately we humans are not evolved enough to where we could deny a right to ignorance and still have a peaceful world.

I suppose they do… You can lead a horse to water.. My gripe is when they expect us to cut off our quest for knowledge as well. F that.

I envision them living inside boxes. Fine; sad, but fine.. It’s when those boxes are placed in our way, or stacked as an impenetrable wall, or if we’re told to crawl into one.

They appear to be frightened people in need of continuous boundaries, and willing to accept the boundaries of others. I suppose they’ve the right to march off a high cliff or into the sea.. but not to drag along anyone else - not family, children, friends, coworkers, spouse, neighbors… Now if only they would disappear, it’d clean up the human gene pool ..and allow the rest of us to begin cleaning up their mess.

Varn Level 8 Sep 11, 2018

Not if you're a leader of a country! You shouldn't have that luxury.

By 'right' I guess it is out of the question that you don't mean a legal right, for it would be absurd to force anybody by law to give up his ignorance.
So I think you meant 'right' in the moral sense and at least in my view morality strongly depends on the consequences of your actions. And I think everybody has an obligation (to a reasonable extend) to find out to the best of their abilities if any of your actions lead to the harm of others. I don't think it is okay to be willfully ignorant when it comes to living in a privileged position that depends of the suffering of others. For instance, if you know that your Nike shoes are produced by slave labor you shouldn't buy them and back to the point, therefore you should (to a reasonable extend) research where the stuff you buy is coming from, what the consequences of your transactions are and if there are better alternatives.
But of course we have to recognize that we only have a limited capacity to inform ourself so we shouldn't be too harsh with ourself or people who don't commit as much to such a high ideal.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 11, 2018

Yes, but I sometimes fantasize about having a machine that generates waves that influence people to

grow their own organic gardens,

build dome homes that won't blow away in hurricanes or fall during earthquakes,

empathize with animals and children,

use hemp for fuel, clothing, hempcrete for housing, food, animal feed,

ban all GMOs and pesticides, etc.

since there are no gods, rights are granted, or withheld, by governments. i know of no government that has made ignorance illegal. on the contrary, i know many that have worked hard to promote ignorance.

g

I don't think anyone is "wllfully ignorant". They just believe what they think is right.

I’m afraid there is no way legislate against ignorance. The old maxim “ignorance is bliss” applies to an alarming number of people and they would not thank us for forcing them to think otherwise.

@Renickulous I’m not American, it applies universally.

@Renickulous Beliefs are not the same as facts, nor are they in any way equally valid.

@Renickulous Excuse me but would you please point out to me where I said I wanted to make anyone believe what I do. If you read properly what I said it was in fact quite the reverse. I said there was no way to legislate against ignorance. What exactly do you disagree with in that statement?

@Renickulous Of course , that doesn’t need pointing out, it was all hypothetical. Even if it were possible to legislate against ignorance, they would probably prefer to have been kept in ignorance as it is much easier to follow dogma than think for themselves. That brings a whole lot more responsibility on their heads. I didn’t really think I would need to spell out in such detail what I meant to anyone here on this site.

@Renickulous No it doesn’t, stop twisting my words. This is all a hypothesis, it is a fantasy and in no way is ever going to be a real scenario so stop trying to make so. If we could actually legislate against stupidiy I would definitely vote for that! I find it impossible to have a serious intercourse with people who either deliberately misinterpret or are too obtuse to grasp the premise I’m putting forward.

@Renickulous Do you not understand hypothetical. It is not real.....it is never likely to happen. It is tongue in cheek......I was referring to this stupidity, yes if I could stop you from taking everything I say as if it is an actual possibility I would take action to do so. Let’s just keep out of each other ‘s way please....I have spent enough time responding to you already.

@Renickulous Don’t be such a ridiculous ass. I never at any time promoted fascism I have never in my life met such a pompous young man as you. Get off your high horse and give me a wide berth as I intend doing the same. I have spent my life fighting against totalitarianism and have lived through communism in Europe and hate and loathe nazism and any other undemocratic system of government. To be accused by a young man who knows nothing about me of promoting fascism I would normally find amusing but in your case I find it insulting.

@Renickulous Actual facts do not change. They remain the same whether we like them or not. What we believe as a consequence of our interpretation of the facts does change. It is very important to know the difference.

@Renickulous And again, it is very important to make the distinction between "facts" and "what you would like to call facts". Beliefs are in no way equivalent to nor as valid as facts.

@Renickulous you said: Because forcing people to think what you believe is fascist and non American

In response to a question about ignorance. Ignorance is about being unaware of facts, not what your beliefs are.

@Renickulous Actually the post is not about religion, it is about ignorance. I would LOVE to be able to prevent people from being ignorant....but somehow you managed to interpret that to me being a fascist and began talking about arrogance.....where at any time was arrogance mentioned in either the original post or my response ? Incidentally do you not understand when someone is using irony?

@Renickulous Good, I think everyone but you realised it. But now we are on the same page let’s have a truce. I am really much too old to be explaining my meaning in such great detail every time I make a jocular comment, I just assume that anyone who has followed any of my posts will realise my turn of phrase. I will be more careful in future to make clear when my remarks are tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken literally.

It's depressing, but yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:176214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.