Agnostic.com

3 0

Let's talk evolution.

Looking at my profile will give you some idea how with the help of Dr Hoffman's work, I came to the conclusion that all life is connected subconsciously. My question is, did the dinosaur's demise happen by a natural design or by a meteor smashing into the Earth? Crocodiles and sharks didn't die they just scaled down and so did many predators of that time so it is conceivable that the same thing happened to the dinosaurs. Think of the connection; the smaller and more vulnerable life-forms would have had to learn very quickly to survive, the struggle would have increased their intelligence. Did the dinosaurs disappear to allow the more intelligent to survive? Then there are the primates; why didn't they carry on evolving to the same level of intelligence as us? Was it because intelligence had been achieved? There was no need for them to do so.

dodin 4 Sep 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow

That's a good comment wellthen, thanks

meteor. don't confuse cause and effect. the dinosaurs' demise definitely paves the way for the smaller mammals to evolve, eventually into us. but that doesn't mean that's WHY they went extinct. it means that's the RESULT of their extinction. the dinosaurs didn't have a club meeting and say "let's die for a cause!" and there was no one directing the show, either. the meteor hit, circumstances changed that killed off the dinos, other things changed as a result. as for the other primates, there was no need (or has not been so far) for them to become more like us in order to survive. they took a different path. it's not a matter of intelligence's having been achieved so everyone else, go home, why bother? it wasn't necessary for THEIR survival and has nothing to DO with what someone else achieved. i might add, i am not so sure we have reached the pinnacle of our intelligence. of course if we stupidly kill ourselves off, probably along with the rest of the world as we know it, then we have reached it, since we will have then prevented ourselves from achieving more. we are, until then, still evolving, as is everyone/everything else. nothing is standing still. if it appears that it is, understand that that's an illusion.

g

The other primates evolved to be as smart as they needed to be to succeed. I have read that the demise of the dinosaurs "made room" for the little mammals to diversify by lowering predation & opening up niches.

Carin Level 8 Sep 11, 2018

true, that made room. my quibble is not with the result but with the concept that that's WHY the dinos died. it's what happened when they died, not why they died.

g

@Matias yes, and in formal writing, i use them. however, in informal writing, i protect my arthritic fingers, except when i feel compelled to emphasize. does this have to do dinosaurs in some way?

g

Thanks for your comments, but saying the primates evolved to were they fitted best is not the answer I was looking for. I was trying to find what decided that they should stop when they did?
When looking at evolution and the balance in nature; its like looking at a jigsaw with all the pieces in place. If we choose chance as the explanation, then chance could have mutated into something that could have been hostile and would have destroyed life before it began. What a waste of time that would have been. The variety in life appears to be by design with variety giving purpose for one another; surging forward until purpose reaps its reward with the birth of intelligence which just grew in some species to a higher level than in others, still keeping that balance as if it was guided. I am not referring to anything supernatural, but a connection between species, maybe in our subconscious. Perhaps one of the reasons we sleep and dream.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:176669
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.