Agnostic.com

11 2

Who likes their job or used to have a good one?

I like mine. I don't totally love it all, but some aspects of it definitely.
I'm a self employed roofer, or co-owner of a small LLC. 1 other partner.
Anyway.....I have lots of control over my life and my business. Of course with just 2 of us I can only dream of making big money.

But I am limiting my self to less than 1500 hours per year working. Without employees the paperwork is not staggering . I'm traveling more than I ever did, even if I rarely leave the Midwest ( Does Colorado count?)

I have great relationships with my clients, a lot of repeat work.
I do very little insurance work. I deal one on one with most building owners ( 90% residential anyway).
We also do more than roofing for valued clients, so there is really no boredom / SOS. Altho roofing has the least headaches / variables.

downsides: I can't control the weather, or my partners moods (I usually tell him to Fuck Off. He does the same to me , LOL)
Somedays it is very hard work, or I'm just tired.

Udder'n dat, I'm pretty happy.

twill 7 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love mine. My writing is all by my own personal submission - only brings in pennies, but I don't expect anything from it.

Other than that, working at a Venue for my full-time job is badass.

I see musical acts from all over the world, drink for free and get paid.

What everybody said about retirement.....I wish I could too! Since I may never fully retire before I "age out" here, I decided to semi retire.....hence the 1500 or less hours. I'd like to get it down to 1200....I dream of 1000!

twill Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

I drive a truck. The money is not so good but I like the job. I drive around the countryside, have a bit of banter with the people I deliver to. Listen to the radio or podcasts all day. I always take an instrument so I can practice during my break.

I used to like my job but then they opened and people came in...totally ruined it for me ????

I was an line cook, thena KM..I loved it..nearly all it..I especially loved creating daily specials..

I was an line cook, thena KM..I loved it..nearly all it..I especially loved creating daily specials..

I did that for a few years in high school and afterwards....I liked it too

I loved mine....specially when debating with my students about all inds of issues.

I had a job with a B2B moving company when I was 19. I was making about $24 an hour to wheel boxes on dollies from a truck to an elevator to office rooms. If I stood with them I'd most likely have been a supervisor making $50 an hour by now. I went to college though and became indebted lol. If you get something young, stick with it and move up. That was the easiest job I had that paid the most money back then.

The "best" job I had was the hardest job I had. I used to help install carpets. I would get to work at like 7 - 9am most times depending on the job and be home by like 1pm or so and be so tired that If I sat down I would fall asleep. The pay wasn't great either. That job is so hard on your body. Carrying 200 pound carpets most of the time, ripping up old padding and carpet, getting on your knees on concrete (with pads, but it's still not good) to apply glue, measuring and cutting and installing padding and then kicking in the new carpet after you put tack strips down, cutting up old carpet and then having to carry 50 individual pieces to a dumpster, moving furniture among other things, and sweating like a pig doing all of it. I remember one time we had to offload a carpet that weighed about 800 pounds from a truck. It wasn't too bad cause 4 of us were carrying it, but yeah not an easy job. One of the absolute worst things on that job was scraping glue off the floor with a big metal scraper to even out the floor. You wouldn't be able to feel your hands and forearms sometimes and then it would just turn into pain. I say it's the best job I ever had because there weren't many restrictions. Me and the guys would joke around and bullshit about stuff. We could take our time, within reason, doing what we had to do. Our boss wasn't an asshole. It was a great atmosphere even though it was back breaking work.

You're one lucky dude. Most of us put up with a lot of crap, so hats off to you!

It sounds like you have a rather good livelihood. Granted, not every day can be awesome, but it sounds like you're generally satisfied, and being self employed has some real advantages. I… don't enjoy my job. I'm burned out.

Hard work-my ex did roofs besides drywalling. Be careful up there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17694
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.