Agnostic.com

3 1

Is my way of life sustainable?

Hi there.

I've noticed that many members here have quite a bit of life experience, so I'd like to ask for some advice.

I'm 44, single, and migrated to California (SF Bay Area) from the Philippines with my dog in 2014. I've adapted pretty well (people assume that I grew up here), but I'm still getting used to how things work in this country. Although my sister (a U.S. citizen) helped me acquire an excellent credit score (by piggybacking off of her card), I only recently started working on establishing some credit history. I'm not in the habit of buying things I don't need. I don't have any huge debts, but I don't have much in terms of savings, either.

I've been living with my sister and her husband in an extended household. Although I have some skills (writer, proofreader, editor, corporate trainer, ESL instructor, etc.) and experience, I don't enjoy working for companies (esp. if they clash with my values) nor managing (difficult) people. I currently work as a private swim instructor (by myself and as an independent contractor) and am pretty good at it. I have a lot of flexibility and love teaching but I don't have medical insurance and the usual benefits of a regular full-time job. I'm currently looking for other ways to supplement my income. Although I pay for gas, my sister has been kind enough to let me use her car for work.

I have friends in Sacramento (married with a three-year-old daughter) who have invited me to live with them. Although I'll be less comfortable, my earning potential may improve, plus I'll be able to save a lot more in terms of rent--around $300 monthly. Because I don't want to jeopardize our relationship, I've asked them to draft an agreement so that our mutual expectations are clear. If things go smoothly, I'll probably move in by December.

My health is pretty good for my age. I don't smoke (tobacco, ha ha), only drink socially, and I've been a vegetarian since I was 18.

I get anxious about not being practical and want to know if I'm worrying too much. I know I should have more money in case of an emergency, but other than that, I wonder if choosing a simpler, less stressful life in this country will eventually bite me in the butt.

Please, I don't need a lecture from people who can't relate with my choices. I need constructive feedback, particularly from people who have chosen a life like mine or know someone who has. Any practical advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, just ask.

Thanks in advance.

misternatureboy 7 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i don't think it will necessarily bite you in the butt but you may want to strive toward more independence in terms of your eventual living situation, especially if you don't intend to remain single (which you may or may not). i recommend applying for citizenship. it may take a lifetime to get, but that just means the sooner you start, the better. i also recommend getting something going with the affordable care act while it's still here. you're healthy now; there are no guarantees in life. besides that, if you feel strong enough to pursue the way of life you prefer, go for it!

g

Thanks, g. I've gotten nothing but great advice so far and I am grateful to all who have shared. I'll be eligible to apply for citizenship next year so I'm saving up for it. Cheers. ?

@misternatureboy good luck!

g

@genessa Thanks!

Drafting up an agreement sounds like a wise decision. Also, when it comes to money, all you need is enough to support yourself and cover your necessary expense so you're not living paycheck to paycheck, and put some away/invest for emergencies, setbacks, or for when you retire. Everything else is really not necessary; you can choose to live simply and still be happy. I also suggest paying down debts and looking into getting affordable health insurance if you can. If you need extra income, you have skills that you can put into remote freelance work. It sounds though that overall you've got a good plan in place.

I don't have much experience so far, I'm only 28, but I do have advice. Go to college, get financial grants, student loans, etc. It's a long term solution you need

it is difficult enough for a young person to get grants; at 44, and trying to support oneself, it would be extremely difficult, especially for a noncitizen. the way student loans work these days, he would be saddling himself with horrible debt for the rest of his life. why, at his age, is college the long-term solution he needs? he hasn't actually said whether he already HAS a degree, for that matter. he doesn't need it for work if he follows the path he wants, which is NOT to work for a corporation. his skill set is impressive. i am VERY much in favor of higher education, but i can't help feeling this this advice is not appropriate for him.

g

@genessa Thanks. I majored in writing at university and have over a decade of experience as a writer, editor, proofreader, instructional designer, and corporate trainer. I am not loaded and would rather not pursue another degree (due to the inevitable crippling debt) , but I'm considering taking some classes to brush up on unfamiliar instructional design software. I may be able to pull that off without having to take college classes.

=======================

Dear @MrLizard:

Hello, Chuck.

I've been meaning to send you a message but the option to DM you isn't available on your profile so I had to resort to this approach.

I saw that you're an instructional designer and I'd like to ask you some questions about that. As you may have read in my above comment, I used to do that in my past life when I was a corporate trainer and have been considering getting back into it. I would really appreciate any advice you could provide.

I look forward to hearing from you.

@misternatureboy see, some of what i was objecting to was the assumption that you were uneducated. obviously you are not.

g

@MrLizard Thank you. I appreciate it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177053
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.