Agnostic.com

9 1

Will social media diminish your ability to make rational decisions via mis-information,bias development and by clouding our judgements?

Marine 8 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't look for knowledge from social media, I survey opinions.

Personally no. Nor do I think it will effect those on this site. However the are a lot of people who are swayed by propaganda.

If that’s all you follow, very likely. A freak, the documentaries I watched religiously on PBS for decades allow me to compare what others say, to what I’ve learned. But if one hasn’t learned, and simply follows the most clever con man or well oiled propaganda machine … the knowledge to perceive reality would preclude reasoning..

Varn Level 8 Sep 12, 2018

Studies show that fake news on social media definitely influences people, and can make them suspicious when they do hear the truth.

That's why it's so effective and why Putin has been deploying it to destabilize the US and EU. Notice all the far right leaders rising up, inflamed by racial suspicion and false accusations.

Not any more than reading the scandal sheets, or watching Fox News, Breitbart, and Rebel Media. LLOL

Seriously though, information-in always equals conclusions-out, so it's up to all of us to separate the wheat from the chaff.

That's what i love about the internet. I can research and qualify the assertions, data, and sources without spending hours at a microfilm and microfiche reader at some public library or newspaper.

No, it's decreased my tolerance for ignorance and my opinion of many friends, relatives, and co-workers. On the other hand, there are a couple of people for whom I have a lot more respect.

JimG Level 8 Sep 12, 2018

Not if you use some critical thinking. Hard when you are slammed all day with nonsense.

Social media users must learn how the latter operates.They aim to manipulate and steer your minds to obtain a desired outcome. This might be for a product,a politician,a vacation etc. Just look at what the Russian's did to our election.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.