Agnostic.com

3 4

"It's all chaos. Be kind." The central message of humanism, about as concise as it can be put. Beyond mere atheism, I do believe it is up to us to figure out what we want to be our guiding principles in life. Secular humanism makes some great suggestions in that department. What do you think?
[patheos.com]

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It has the ring of Newageatheism. It seems rich in feels and low in wit.
Kindness, In its place is a wonderful and necessary component of our social existence. Fortunately, it is not the only tool in our kit. Mythologizing Chaos and Kindness into primal forces does not seem "kind" in the long run.
I do think that the telling of stories with humor and pathos is important to make the listeners feel the importance of kindness and other virtues. Feeling is learning for the irrational elements of ourselves. We retain this learning "deeply", which is another way of saying, beyond our immediate conscious and rational examination.
I have to differ with "all is chaos" as well. Though there may be more than one lighthouse to steer by, there is indeed a light.

Re: "It has a ring of Newageism to it..." ...hmm...""though there may be more than one lighthouse to steer by [agreed], there is indeed a light." THAT sounds pretty new-age-y to me. 🙂

@MikeInBatonRouge Nope. I typed what I meant. New agy atheism. There are quite a few out there that would profess that there is no god and still adhere to some rather specious, woo claims. It appeals to those that want some "magic" to be in the world.

I think that is over-analysis. I saw no "mythologizing" of chaos or kindness; simply a straightforward message. THAT isn't new age, at least not in my book. The world is certainly replete with woo. But that doesn't mean that every reference to values is such.

@MikeInBatonRouge Opinions will vary. You are free to make your own comment on the op.

Good read. Only thing we can have any sense of control over is ourselves.

I think 'Be Kind' is a good rule to live by. When all else fails, be kind. Anyone can be crappy as we see so often in the world.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17764
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.