Agnostic.com

32 5

Raised Atheist or left a religion?

Just windering how many people around on here were raised non-religious, as opposed to those who were raised in religion?

michael18 3 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Raised in an insane Pentecostal cult. Stopped believing such nonsense before the age of puberty.

raised non religious.

Raised religious in rural Texas. Started asking basic questions around the age of 12 that neither my mom nor the pastor could answer so I decided there were too many logical inconsistencies for it to be true. Still defended the ‘idea’ of religion until I was maybe 18 and then realized the outward harm it caused on others was more harmful than the personal good it provides individuals and now I’m openly against it.

I was raised "deep" southern Baptist. Hellfire and brimstone where there pastor does nothing but scream and spit at the audience for an hour. You can't make out what comes out of their mouths for the most part, but the louder they are the more enthralled the audience seemed to get. It just never clicked with me. The rest of my family is still baptist, but have at least moved away from that and gone to a much calmer, not so "deep woods", church. I tried hard to believe when I was young, it just never happened. I always thought there was something wrong with me because everyone else seemed to believe so fully.

Pretty much the same. Did you notice that people also got a lot more hype when there was a good drummer and organ player? The holy ghost was really holy ghosting on those days, it seemed.

Strange. Or is it?

I was raised Presbyterian, so I left late in life.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

Why do people equate atheism with “non-religious”??

Ungod Level 6 Jan 14, 2019

When I was a kid I “knew” god exists and was “inside” everyone. When I was about 6 years old I realized the adults lies all the time and decided to not believe them about anything. I would do what they told me but knowing that it was probably a lie. So some day, playing some educational game like a body organs puzzle I thought “there is no god in here. That’s just another lie, like Santa and the tooth fairy” and that’s it. I never “believed”, I went from “knowing” (as literally thinking that there was a small Jesus image inside your guts and when people die they would be sent in a plane to a city in the sky) to knowing that it was just bullshit adults told me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:177693
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.