Agnostic.com

19 4

Fountain Pens; Does anybody else use one?

Just wondering how many people use these archaic writing tools?

AviatorJim 6 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a cartridge fountain pen in high school I liked. However, after refilling the cartridge a few times it began to leak and after awhile those plastic cartridges became obsolete due to cheap ballpoint pens. Up to that time, all the fountain pens I saw contained a rubber bladder. Never liked the ballpoints...still don't due to there characteristic of "rolling away" with writing pressure whereas pens with nibs seemed so much more stable.

Love my pens. I taught calligraphy for a decade before I got to take university art classes. Aced commercial art lettering.

gipsy Level 4 Jan 24, 2018

I've never used one, but your post reminded me of a video about an amazing penman.

I do. One mistake and I mess up everything.

I do not own a fountain pen at the moment,but I prefer them over ballpoint pens.

The advantage of a fountain pen (or goose quill pen) is that pressing down spreads the nibs allowing the skilled user to make the line wider or narrower as desired. That was a factor in the beautiful artistic penmanship observed on historical documents of the past. I would imagine that those interested in calligraphy still have places where bottles of ink may be purchased but not as easy as walking into any office supply store as it was in my day.

I don't trust any of those newfangled contraptions. Nothing but a quill for me from home grown ostriches.

I don't carry a purse, just stick it in my hat band.

I have one. I love it, but I don't write enough by hand these days to keep it handy (no pun intended)

It has been so long since I used a fountain pen that I can't remember when I used one last.

That's all I used to write with back in my calligraphy days. My fine motor skills are diminishing, so my handwriting is terrible.

Nope... those were the days my friend...

Nope. I've never seen one before.

I'll send you one if you want to give it a try.

You don't have to if you don't want to. Thank you though. Message me in my messenger if you want to.

Yes! Oh I LOVE mine so much and the bottle of ink I got from Japan is stunning! I’m a writer in my spare time (or at least I’m attempting to be) and my fountain pen glides across my moleskine.

Very nice. Yes, very nice. @Jello_vero

I was fascinated with a beautiful one my aunt had when I was a kid but I only tried to use one afew times

yeah they're nice.

I'm somewhat of a pen freak and do love the look and feel of fountain pens, but they're just not as versatile as ball-points.

Not in this century.

Can't stand the things. Give me a ballpoint anytime... or better still, a laptop, πŸ™‚

Jnei Level 8 Jan 24, 2018

I have not seen one for sale for years. If I wanted one, I would not even know where to find one. On the other hand, I have several goose quills that I could make into pens...if I could only find ink sold in a bottle. πŸ™‚

I wonder if you could get one at an artist's supply store

I found mine on Amazon for a great price. Granted, it’s not the best fountain pen out there, but it works well for me. I have no complaints. And the beautiful bottle of ink I got from Japan is lovely. I actually like having ink stains on my hands; shows I’ve been working πŸ™‚

Hobby Lobby has bottled ink, and all the caligraphy stuff if you just want to walk in. I picked one up again after wandering into a pen store in Wisconsin. Only pens. they take it very seriously,

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17994
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.