Agnostic.com

9 0

Briggs-Meyer test

Any opinions on the Briggs-Meyer personality test?

Have you taken it? If so, which type are you?

zarathustra13 6 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, no.....dunno

"Vox's Joseph Stromberg says one of the key flaws to the test is that it relies on "limited binaries". Most humans, he says, fall along a spectrum and are not easily classified into opposite choices. People aren't exclusively extroverts or introverts - and where they fall on the spectrum can fluctuate widely based on how they are feeling at the moment.

Most psychologists have long since abandoned Myers-Briggs, if they ever gave it any credence at all, Stromberg continues.

Instead, he says, Myers-Briggs lives on as a revenue generator for CPP, the company that owns the rights to the test. It makes an estimated $20m (£11.6m) a year by charging people $15 to $40 to take the survey and certifying test administrators for $1,700."

Link: BBC News - Debunking the Myers-Briggs personality test - totally useless [bbc.com]

welll, for one thing, it's briggs-myers.

nobody is all one thing. in a combination with just initials, there is no ratio. there are characteristics not included in the test. in addition, no one behaves the same way in all circumstances. do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? give me CONTEXT! (and someone who focuses on this/her own inner world might not KNOW s/he is doing that!) when i am lying in bed i prefer to focus on my own inner world, but sometimes i listen to the tv while i try to sleep, and that's the outer world, but i am internalizing it so it's the inner world, but it comes from outside, so... feh! you can't just take a test like this and learn anything meaningful. i think it is very well-meaning, serious, sober, utter nonsense.

g

also: "fairy tales can come true... it can happen to you... if you're jung at heart...."

g

Because it's possible to guess one's type based on their behavior (in a particular environment), I don't think it's utter nonsense.

I hate it when people get really into it and start talking like it's a horoscope (which IS utter nonsense). "Oh, I'm totally a ____ and that's why blah blah blah". And when they use their type to justify shitty behavior.

I usually get ENFP.

It's a way of learning something about yourself, but I don't think it's as definitive as people think it is. I am an ENFP, according to the test.

Meyers-Briggs has fallen out of fashion as a reliable precision indicator of anything. It's too subjective and self-reported for many purposes. I think it is probably a decent general indicator though. I consistently come up as IN??, usually INTJ.

Myers-Briggs personality tests have been debunked. For a lark, I took a free Myers-Briggs test in 2011.

ENFJ:

Extraverted

Intiutive

Feeling

Judging (Does not mean judgemental.)

"Judging refers to our attitude towards the external world, and how we live our lives on a day-to-day basis.

"People with the Judging preference want things to be neat, orderly and established."

It's probably about as accurate as astrology but I had to take the test as part of a class, so I know I'm an INFP.

sounds fun but doesnt have a lot of scientific merit

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.