Agnostic.com

42 22

Competition: healthy or not?

I have to say that I am not a big fan of the idea. I think I like to play things for fun and hope that everyone wins or at least has a good time playing.
This site has a bit of a competitive nature to it, is points and levelling up.

Now, I get the purpose of the idea, it's better to have interaction of someone posts and receives points for doing so. But I also see people who post endlessly just to gain more points. Or worse, putting provocative stuff on just to get everyone to comment.

I find it discouraging and I also feel the need to climb up with the points when I see people who have been here for such a short time passing mme. Or worse, asking for help from the site to get to the next level. I don't even know why it bothers me. Maybe because I have always been a person who likes things to be fair. Ha!
I never enjoyed playing against teams that were stacked with good players.

Akfishlady 8 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do get a kick out this competition for points on here! Since competition is such an inate human instinct maybe it’s their main competitive outlet. Personally I prefer scoring points on the tennis court or golf course.

No one has a performance obligation here. Those who are motivated by influencing a semi-objective measurement of desired performance (basically, engagement and commitment to site community-building) can do it. Those who aren't so much ... don't have to.

In real life (IRL) I am not a very competitive person, other than perhaps with myself. I think some people may misconstrue self-competitiveness as something to take personally though.

Lots of replies to this - did you post just for points? 😉

Jnei Level 8 Sep 16, 2018

Good post. I find the comments interesting in their contradictory nature. heh

The possible issue I see is people assuming those that interact a lot, whether through posting, commenting, showing appreciation for someone sharing by offering a like, or whatever, is doing it to accumulate points.

My 2 cents is on a community site, people shouldn't be made to feel like they're doing something wrong for communing. I'm assuming moderators keep an eye out for spammers.

In my short time here it seems to me the point system "pros" seem to outweigh the "cons. "..
As was mentioned above (below?) Once a person hits level 3 it's not a major incentive ..
Sure .. some are just trying to level up, but I think seeing interaction (even if it's not high quality ) is better then some groups getting nothing..
(If that makes any sense)

At this point, the points system (and the idea of levelling up) is all that keeps me here.

After being treated downright horribly by certain members who seem to feel they are high priestesses of this place (quite ironically), and the complete and total lack of response from admin, coupled with connecting with members who aren't completely horrible people off-site, the points are literally the only thing keeping me here.

Ozman Level 7 Sep 16, 2018

Honestly, I didn't even know what the points meant. I don't think I still do (or care).

Points? I haven't even checked them yet. I'm shocked I haven't already been kicked off this site like I was on Facebook and Twitter and aol. ?

Yep, there is a lot of padding going on. Posts about nothing, not even aimed at creating any controversy. Dumb posts. Lots of stuff. I don't pay any attention other than to ask occasionally what someone means or consider why in hell they even bothered. People are people and any site represents a microcosm of our civilization. I think we're fortunate here in that, because of the site's nature, we are spared a certain amount of what is aggravating elsewhere.

If you are talking competitions like American idol I think the idea is beyond ludicrous. It is like blaming someone for not having a gift of talent when they are rejected. On the other hand giving a goal to achieve that all can achieve a little completion is welcome to encourage others to complete a given task and reap the rewards of satisfaction.

Enjoy your points!!

MattW Level 6 Sep 16, 2018

I enjoy competition, with the provision that it's not life or death so I don't take it more seriously than a fun challenge.

I am here for interaction, for conversation, and for pissing off conservatives. Oh wait, I meant for community. I love how the conversations can range and the stuff I learn. I love hearing the opinions of others. I love the support and the camaraderie that has developed. The points are nice, but I'm not here for the points. I am not so focused on getting points that I'm going to spend more time here. I've been out of work/retired for a week. I've got other stuff I want to get done. If I was driven by points I'd be here more. I just don't/can't multitask like that. I've been here for about 9 months and I don't have plans to drop off anytime soon. I'll just keep plugging along and let the points come as the come.

Very interesting point. I raised a point that displeased rather conservative members who were all to willing to send volleys of insults my way. So i got rewarded for being a shit stirrer.
I made similar experiences in real life where i was given peanuts for tasks that would have dignified an ape and for some monkey jobs i was rather handsomely rewarded.
It was as an illiterate that I was given the most financially rewarding jobs, combined with other perks. In contrast for really good work I was often not paid at all.
Here at least the points are given whether I excrete verbal garbage or something slightly better.
Pecunia non olet ... neither do points.

I think competition breeds success. This site is not competition. As for posting "provocative" items, provocative is in the eye of the beholder and some people actually have thought provoking ideas. One of the purposes for the site.

lerlo Level 8 Sep 17, 2018

Guess I'm more of a cooperative kind of person, except when playing card or board games but those aren't that important. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.