Agnostic.com

6 6

In September 2013, I was knocked down at a pedestrian crossing on my way home from work. I thank car design and the NHS for keeping me alive. At the most painful times in the following days, I neither thanked nor cursed a deity. Since then, I've had therapy for anxiety, depression and anger. The accident caused me to lose my sense of smell, something that affects taste too. I still suffer with head pains, dizziness, memory problems and anxieties but keep moving ahead. There gave been very dark times that would send some to their knees in prayer but not this atheist.

Dazzler1967 4 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have anosmia too!!

For three months now.

Good for you and your country's health care system. The good folks over here don't love their neighbors enough to care about their health.....and please note the sarcasm.

We just voted in Oregon, for a subsidy tax to help low income kids/adults through this crappy time of ‘healthcare reform’. It disgusts me at how many people are too stingy to cough up two dollars a year to help a kid stay healthy. And their reasons...bullshit greed, is what it is.

I started my disability journey around then too. But it took a few years to become what it is now.

My anxiety and depression reached life threatening levels. I cursed many actions, I tried many treatments, and I failed at killing myself.

I never thought of ‘turning to (a) god’.

I watched my Father turn to his god, when he started going downhill from cancer. It helped him die comforted. The hypocrisy almost hurt, but I really didn’t care. He was happy.

Over the years of doing palliative and hospice care, I never came across anyone that found, or lost, their beliefs. While I was in their lives, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen before I was needed.

I’m in a support group on FaceBook, and follow some chronic pain pages. It helps knowing I am not alone, on those days where it’s darkest. Other people believe me, and (unfortunately) really know what I’m talking about.

I started going to an agoraphobia group today. Three other people showed up. I understand that the same people rarely show up week to week. Lol. Having a fear of leaving your home/open spaces/enclosed or small spaces, won’t help get you to group therapy. 😉

My anxiety/panic was the worst it’s ever been in 2014-5. I had multiple panic attacts a day. I lived holding my lorazepam nearby. I’ve had anxiety issues my entire life.

But after surgery, while I’m not completely fixed (and never will be), I’m much better off. I mean, I can walk again. 🙂 And my anxiety is back to normal. 😟

TMI?

Whenever I consciously notice the crushed mess of my knee or smile at airport security because my prosthetic shoulder has set the bells ringing ... or not as the case may be, I try not to think of the unknown mother's child who did this and left me to die. But then I remember that I could now, and for the last 14 years, have been gainfully employed as a spirit level - by being sat on the surface to be levelled whilst the equal amount of dribble coming from each corner of my mouth proves that level has been achieved.
Sometimes I occasionally do wish that, like our First Nation's People, I had their reputed ability to point the bones. But mostly I reserve that for the insurance companies, lawyers and legislators who have deliberately ensured that the injured do not receive full compensation.

Keep up that positive attitude Dazzler1967 it is what keeps people going.

You are strong in the face of adversity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18032
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.