Agnostic.com

9 3

My nihilism

Even though I also identify as a secular humanist as well as an atheist, I am an existential nihilist, for some reason I feel comfortable with being a nihilist, is that okay?

GodlessWahid666 5 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whatever turns you on!

No one here has the authority to bless or curse you for it.

We can disagree, I suppose, but if you're talking about the sort of nihilism Nietzsche pushed, I have no problem with it in concept. It's clear to me that life has no bestowed / intrinsic meaning, but I have no trouble making meaning for myself. Nihilism leads to despair only if you refuse to get past the lack of intrinsic meaning as if it were some kind of big deal. Sadly, a lot of people's operant conditioning from the cradle tells them just that.

@GodlessWahid666 Nietzsche saw nihilism as robust and invigorating, not depressing. He saw it that way in part because he believed extrinsic meaning was both findable and sufficient. The only way to find meaning for a nihilist is the one and only way available to everyone else: find and/or make your own meaning. Decide what you care about and then go for it without reservation. The search for intrinsic meaning is but time-sucking bullshit.

One obstacle in my experience to doing this, is that people think meaning has to be some grandiose thing that makes you the hero in your own narrative or something. That is an ego inflation. None of us are particularly remarkable (or, you might say, we're all special, just like everyone else). You do not have to Save The World, or even some other person, or even really yourself. Just recognize your eensy little place in the great scheme of things and then make meaning in that context.

In my case that's just hanging out on this site; working (at a profession I enjoy and have enough seniority to be selective within it); providing for my loved ones the things I actually can and letting the rest go; things like that. Some days, at my age, I'm content if I can just manage to not hurt too much, get adequate exercise and maybe take a good dump. Modest goals have the virtue that they get fulfilled much more frequently. And from that, comes satisfaction, encouragement, enjoyment, and contentment.

Perfectly ok!

okay with whom? that is up to you. i don't care for any kind of nihilism myself but that's me. do you need my approval? that would be kind of unnihilistic in and if itself!

g

Having compassion concern interest for other humans/one's own being while seeing no reason purpose greater meaning for life, just that life is...Are you ok with it? If so, then ok.

Would it be fair to consider nihilism the polar opposite of religion? One side has structure and hierarchy whereas the other cedes to chaos and a banal insanity.
I am glad you have found comfort. That is enough in my books.

Sounds like you get a lot of comfort and value from your nihilism. Life is beautiful ain’t it?

you should not care one way or the other

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180478
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.