Agnostic.com

21 3

“A penny saved is a penny earned.” How do you save or earn extra pennies?

I wasn't sure what category to put this in. But, I'm thinking money... the last few years, I've become very minimalist in my purchases. I have 40 hangers in my closet. I never buy more shirts/pants than I have hangers.

What do you do to conserve your monies (or to earn extra ones)?

silvereyes 8 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is one of the greatest songs ever written unfortunately to many of you was written in spanish. "A partir de manana". "Starting tomorrow". Songwriter wrote it for his 40th birthday. Meant to say... after a certain age... Is okay to want the best table, drink the best wine and to live a little. Not opposing to your habits because... I had more clothes and shoes that I will ever need. Even when I did not bought any clothing for nearly 10 years... I still had way too many. Not having dates is a practical way of saving money but doesn't buy you happiness. Save that money and when you ready spend it on you!!! Take a trip to a place you want to visit and adventure yourself, make that money be a part of your quest. It will be worth the sacrifice and your commitment to your happiness at right cost.

@evestrat I will try to post a good translation and not the usual remake in another language. He talks about dying the other half of his life and living the other half of his death. And is mainly what I experienced and was worry about for many years... most of us slave to never see the results because we die before retirement. I called Phase 3 of my life. In the 1 I learned, in the 2 I applied, in the 3 is for my fun under the perspective that we can't stay here forever. I am glad your father is realizing is his time to be selfish as he never was. Time to slow down and relax. And to ask for the best wine in the best table. Thanks for your input.

@evestrat Wish him the best... We men are stubborn and hard headed. We are always the last one to learn the lesson.

I live in a great climate, only wear shoes to work, hardly wear shirts, often don't wear pants.
I can cook, and I mean I can cook, not a chef, but friends usually rather come here for a meal than go out, I have extensive fruit vegetable and herb gardens. I prefer nature so weekends away are inexpensive. That said, hmmm, scotch and rum, only the best yet I drink very little. If I go on a road trip, every 4th or 5th day I will stop somewhere 5 star for a bit, rest of the time, camp grounds. I seem to find a balance, that point of balance can shift depending on my levels of income and expenses at the time. Son recently made redundant, I am low paid and just spent a fortune at he vets. So, no 5 star for a few months.

@silvereyes Public Libraries... they even have movies.

Lately because I moved I realized just how much shit I had. I got rid of much, but I still have to much.
So I am with you. Since I am retired I think way more before I purchase something. The question I ask my self is do I really need this item? I don't know for sure yet, but I think this will help. Plus since money is no longer a renewable resource at this point, that also helps. My diet is another thing that helps. I don't spend as much at the grocer. Good luck to you.

Don’t spend it....lol...I’m Scottish....we’re very....’tight fisted’....shall I say....I question everything where my money is concerned....however...on saying that.....my daughters have converted me....to extra poor....lololol...they own my wallet...

Never spend the change. I always pay to the nearest dollar when using cash. All the loose change goes into the jar. I use a low credit limit credit card to pay for most things and pay the balance off every month. I take the reward points as cash back when they have accumulated enough to do so.

Good plan. I also never have consumer / credit card debt and don't spend money I don't have. I've held a balance on a credit card twice in my life for a month or two a couple of times after moving. Having credit card debt is always a bad idea.

@shockwaverider Using a credit card and holding credit card debt are two very different things. Credit Unions and some bank offer far lower loan rates. I always take advantage of the 0 internet rate deals for large purchases. I make the payments to my savings account and pay off the balance in the final month.

@Dwight I didn't mean to suggest they were. I use a card I get points on but pay it off every month.

@shockwaverider that's the plan!

I only ever buy necessities.

Well, wants are also nice....LOL

@DUCHESSA See my comment. There is a bell curve which is about wants and satisfaction. At some point of the curve are essentials. Further along are desirables. At some point the peak is reached and everything more actually causes stress (e.g, a fancy new car may be nice but then one is worried about damage, insurance, getting the car stolen and on). One has to determine each curve for themselves.

@JackPedigo Exactly as you said....each curve have to be tailored to each person. Sure

@DUCHESSA One cannot force their standards on another. That is the crux of the program. Did I mention they had an overflowing convention in LA some time ago and the symbol was a Hearse with a luggage rack. (empty of course).

@DUCHESSA You're right, but I'm young so I have to save up, maybe when I reach a certain age and have a comfortable income then I can think about my wants 😀

I'm still working... I wanted to take a year + off after grad school but I'm working with some friends so it's not all bad. I am earning extra now, rather than saving. I spent most of my life both saving and earning to get to my comfort zone where working is optional.

I maxed out my 401K plans, invested in stock / real estate, and take calculated risks. When I was younger I bought most stuff used and reused everything that I could to save money. I never goto Starbucks or places like that as I feel it's a waste of money. It all adds up.

Make my own coffee & eat at home more.....eating out as a social activity is a Huge part of my life!

The old fashioned way: I have a piggy bank.

For the time being, I'm living at home because housing costs in my area are just plain stupid. This has generally helped me greatly in saving money over the years because I don't really have to pay rent. I pay my regular bills, help around the house, and majority of money I have left over after I pay things off goes in the bank. I use my credit card for EVERYTHING, and always pay it off by the end of the month to keep my credit good, and no real debt.

By the end of the year my total savings will be over 100k, which will be a nice payment down on a good place.

My general breakdown would be an example like:
Monthly earnings: 2000
Bills: 300-400 lets say

I pay that debt off right away, so I'm left with 1600. 500 of that then goes right into my RSP (my work also has a pension plan too), and 1000 will go into my other savings accounts. I'm left with like 100 or 200 extra bucks, and I keep that on hand if I need it, or to have a bit of recreational money. Repeat process pretty much every month with similar breakdown.

I have dabbled a bit in investments, but haven't gone too deep due to understandable apprehension with economy and all. Me and my friend have looked into stock markets and whatnot, but it won't be another year or so until we feel confident enough to try it.

Every night, any coinage in my pocket goes into a jar. Once in a while I'll throw a little paper in there, too.

"Spare change" from card purchases is collected by an investment program I signed up for, and it gets invested. It's pretty much hands off. I primed the pump with a couple hundred dollars when I first started. It's growing faster than money is being added to it.

Part of my direct deposit goes onto a prepaid debit card that I rarely use. When I find myself a little short or an unexpected expense arises, that "hidden" money helps keep my hands out of the jar and off of my spare change investments.

So far, the system is working pretty well. In terms of pennies, I've saved thousands!! lol

The electric bill can be a big expense. I'm a stickler for conserving energy. If you're not in a room turn the damn lights off!!! The only people who don't care are the ones who don't pay the bills, or they're rich.

I work up to 60 hours a week...or so to able to buy extra hangers for my clothes 😉

A book "Your Money or Your Life" came out about 25 years ago. A revised printing is available. The book started a revolution called 'voluntary simplicity'. The principle is simple: keep track of everything you spend. Take a tablet notebook and write down every cent you spend. Categorize the entries (food, medical, entertainment and so on - which I still do). At the end of the month compile everything. In the beginning I made a graph. When making a big purchase wait a day to think about it. No budget is needed only the act of being aware of your spending can and does help reign in spending. It works and is easy.
[choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com]

I shut off the lights in the rooms when I am not in that area, I set the TV timer to 45 mins. instead of 90 mins., I recycle all my water bottles...
The dollar stores come handy to get all those things that costs you three times more at the regular stores: Windshield fluid, engine oil, brand name hair / shampoo / conditioner, every day dishes and coffee mugs, brand name laundry detergent / softener...and a lot more.

I spend most of my time at home in my bedroom, so I only heat this one room (to 60 - 65 F), and the bathroom when I know I'll be in there a while (electric space heaters). And I wear multiple layers of clothes, and never run the space heater while I sleep. I only turn on the water heater (electric) as needed, and have it set low, at about 105 F. I cook exclusively with the microwave. Using instant rice saves not only time, but a lot of power.

I hardly ever buy clothes, ie. once or twice per year (50% off). I'll splurge on food. I try to stay away from the big box lumber/tool stores, and have been somewhat successful. The problem surfaces when it comes to hobbies. I currently quilt and I've not been able to curb the compulsiveness of purchasing this or that material for some future project (I know well the compulsive aspect of supply/tool purchases due to my many different hobbies in the past).

A hint. I quilt as well....and whenever I am close to a second hand store (Salv. Army / Goodwill / My unique...) I check all the remnants they always have. NEVER USED. Last time, I bought material to make Thanksgivings place-mats..,one was orange and the other had flowers....I paid U$S 3,99 for both....and I made six place-mates.
BTW,I also buy most of the wool we use for the blankets we make in the same stores. Michael's sell the spools from $4,99....and I usually pay $ 2,99

@DUCHESSA Thanks for the tip. I will try to use self discipline if I see something that looks good, but will not be used within a short period of time. 😉

Well, i am a minimalist on clothes but excessive on food. So can not say I save much. That means I am a poor earner.

Smelt them into 9mm bullets. best way to recycle bullet casings after rounds at indoor gun range.

To earn extra money I have a part time network marketing business helping others do the same and I have a web site anyone can look at and join or purchase products from.the site is called www.discoverhealth.flp.com whats more for people interested it is free to join with no fees what so ever.That is what I do to earn extra money.

To earn extra money I have a part time network marketing business helping others do the same and I have a web site anyone can look at and join or purchase products from.the site is called www.discoverhealth.flp.com whats more for people interested it is free to join with no fees what so ever.That is what I do to earn extra money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18068
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.