Agnostic.com

5 1

Why make snap judgements on others

It has come to mind that I think that others are passing a snap judgement on me ( maybe it is the depression screwing with my head) ; if said thought is correct than why pass judgement on me without getting to know everything and when it seems that when I’m giving what I think to be my opinion I’m told “ don’t judge others “ to me this seems hypocritical.

AJimboShep82 7 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People act upon impression which does not indicate fact and so people are incorrectly judged and labeled.

we HAVE to judge. if we never judge anything or anyone, based on our past experience or other learning, every step we take will be tentative, finding out anew each time whether the floor will support us. the trick is not to refrain from judging. the trick is keeping an open enough mind to let new information in even if it conflicts with the initial judgment.

g

Because people take a number of conceptual shortcuts in order to function quickly in the world and one of the big ones is snap judgments. Natural selection has bestowed this tendency upon us because it is a survival advantage (note, I did not say it was a thriving or enjoyment or happiness advantage, because natural selection does not "care" about such things). If you can quickly assess whether a stranger is a threat vector then you can decide whether to trust or run, etc. People who hesitate might get killed. This is literally the subjective internal calculus.

Happily, snap judgments and other forms of confirmation bias can be worked on and tamed. Unhappily, most people have no training in critical thinking and little accurate / nuanced understanding of human psychology, and so don't usually bother. Best you can do is understand it yourself, so when you see it in others you don't take it personally.

Why care about snap judgements of others? Perhaps you might rephrase your thoughts to be less seemingly so. Perhaps you might preface your comments with "IMO".

Normally no I try not to give a shit ; but trying to deal with some of the effects of depression especially when someone means well with anything and it has a way of twisting the most well intended actions/ words and turns them into something rather negative and I try to be a positive person; I’m currently seeking psychological help as fast as I can I do notice the downward spiral and it is not pleasant.

It's easier to judge others than to actually listen to them, requires less mental capacity. Same goes for hypocrisy. Thinking through your thoughts and trying to be consistent is harder. That's why fighting religions is an uphill battle.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.