Agnostic.com

17 0

Do you believe American medicine was designed to help humans heal or are we making/keeping people sick?

• 14 votes
  • 10 votes
Dida 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think helping is inherent to medicine. However, modern pharmaceutical business is designed to make money.

OK FACT - I HAD a terminal disease. Modern medicine cured me and I'm now healthy, my only objection was the cost was over 100 grand.

@Dida - the cause was a callous, unthinking military commander using improperly trained medics. Infecting thousands of airmen during basic training.

world medicine I would say knowing humans is a bit of both.

I work in the medical field and I haven't seen anyone keep people sick for profit. There are enough really sick people in the world that it's not necessary. Even the opioid epidemic, I believe, is perpetuated by well meaning health care providers who want to treat people's pain. I'm not talking about "pill mills" where there isn't really a doctor-patient relationship--those are a different story. I think we're starting to swing too far in the direction of "opioids do more harm than good" and a lot of people are in pain because of it.

I think it's an "intention vs. competence" issue. Dunning/Kruger affects at all levels of achievement. It's easy to overlook what you don't know. Wide definitions for things like autism and cancer defy superficial pathology. We are on various thresholds of breakthroughs that it's easy to overestimate our abilities and employ them against billions of years of natural selection.

Treat symptoms but maintain illness to maximize profits.

yep !

I voted hurt, because of overprescribing and over diagnosing. Which go hand in hand.

As an example: Diabetes. They continue to reduce the qualifiers for type 2 diabetes. The lower the sugar numbers go for qualifying for it, the more people are put on meds and test strips. These are expensive.

I’m confused by the opiod crisis. It’s very difficult to be approved for my pain meds every month, and I’ve tons of proof I have serious issues. Maybe it’s in private insurance, as for us poor, we don’t get that many.

I had to threaten to kill myself, before my insurance would pay for an mri—after months of me withering away. It showed significant damage. Only my doctor and my pharmacologist treated me nicely for being on fentayl. Everyone else treated me like a drug addict. But those who don’t need narcotics, get many. It’s disgusting. Hugs. @Dida

Yes, I am now. Hugs @Dida

A chemical engineer I know who got a job at a pharmaceutical company was told during his orientation, "If you ever come to a fork in the road where you can make a cure or a treatment, you make the treatment." I have no reason to believe he was lying.

Setting aside the opiod epicdemic, and countless cancer and AIDS "treatments" that aren't actually cures, I believe a lot is actually designed to help.
I mean, I only did like 30 years of research, but I'm pretty sure my diabetic ass needs insulin to stay alive. Pretty sure.

Fair enough. For me though, i have childhood onset Type 1 diabetes. Not obesity onset. No genetic history of the disease.

Diet and exercise won't cure it, i'm fully insulin dependent.

Prevention may work for a few issues, but certainly not all.

I think our health care system is well intentioned, but just like everything else in this country, when profits are to be made, big business steps in and skews the playing field. Big pharma is looking to make customers, not cures and insurance companies are looking to maximize profits by denying any claims they can. Health care should not be a for-profit business. We need a one payer system --
Medicare for all.

that would make too much sense !

It is intended to help but I believe we overdo it should have been a third choice of undecided. I think it helps some people and hurt some people depending on their Doctor and his ability

dc65 Level 7 Jan 25, 2018

so many are on unnecessary meds... Most on adhd or add meds don't have the actual condition but the parents/teachers are too lazy to deal with busy kids... I knew a guy on an anti-depressant that had him afterwards on blood pressure meds and then thyroid meds... all listed side effects of the original med. With all the other meds available his doctor opposed trying something else. A quick lookup showed the doctor to be receiving kickbacks on all three meds.

While I believe medicine can do good.... there is too much about money in this nation.

Everything we do is about money in our society today. Personally I believe medications are good is taken for a short time to cure specific problem that persons having. Long-term medications is when the side effects usually occur I'm basing that statement on my experience. I think it's better for long-term to try to control your problem with diets if possible. And if it's a matter of life or death and I guess you'll have to use medications to survive.

I believe it started off as a means to help people. However, now that Big Pharma, the hospital corporations, and insurance companies are firmly in control of all healthcare in this country, more people are being harmed than helped. American medicine has allowed it's purpose to be corrupted.

@witchymom Are you serious??? I am appalled. (And, yes, naive in some ways.)

I think the initial impulse is to heal, but the system is often manipulated by people more concerned with profit.

Allopathy by definition treats symptoms rather than causes, I guess.
but one gets symptoms from somewhere, right?
and one also chooses allopathy when the symptoms manifest.
so iow "Barnum was right," and American medicine was designed to help humans heal--for money.

I think it is mixed. There are doctors that truly want to do good for their patients. I believe for most it's all about the money. Certainly hospitols and pharmaceutical companies want you to stay sick.

@Dida I believe the motivation to become a doctor in today's world is money for the majority. I believe it's been that way for at least the last 30 yrs. When I was very young when I got sick, our family doctor would come to the house. The price was $5 for a house visit, $2 in his office. If you consider inflation it's almost 6 times the price now for an office visit

@Dida Why would you go to a doctor that hates her profession? It tells me that she's only going though the motions

@witchymom The average doctor earns mid to high 6 figures. The problem is try seeing a doctor if their is a glitch in your insurance or if you don't have the co-pay with you. You are correct that others earn more but the doctor is the one that took the oath.

As messed up as this sounds, at times I feel that it is used to hurt people. Take those flu shots for example. I’ve known the people who got them and it still didn’t do them one shred of any good than had they not got the shot.

Unfortunately, the flu vaccines available don't cover every strain of the flu. The flu virus mutates and changes constantly. Getting a flu shot may not prevent someone from getting the flu, but in many cases, if they do get the flu, it might not be as severe. I still get my flu shot every year. I don't regret it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.