Agnostic.com

13 5

I don't know whether to feel sad or pity regarding a comment from a friend.
I was told by my doctor that I am borderline diabetic and I should give up carbohydrates and lose weight.
My problem is, I love bread and rice dishes and CAKE. I am going through a sugar withdrawal.
Did I mention I love CAKE.
I was talking with my friends and and I was talking about how hard it is to cut carbs out of my diet. My friends were supportive.
However one of them told me that I should pray about it and he will pray about it for me, and Gawd will show me the way.
I almost answered " gawd did not do anything to keep my grandmother and father and a few family members from getting diabetes, what the hell has he been so busy doing, creating famine and causing diseases and killing children in India, Africa like the bible says he has been doing throughout history". Seriously Gawd, but I kept my mouth shut.

noworry28 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At least you realize that pray will not do anything for your waistline or health...that being said, once you commit to your health and taking control of your one and only body, it will be easier than you think...sugar and processed foods are addicting for a reason...

I was able to lower my blood pressure and not be put on medication by losing a mere 6 pounds...I can't wait to see what benefits I will gain from losing the next 6, then the next 6, etc. Before you know it, you are healthier on your own and that is a big high that came from you, not from any outside force.

Good luck!

If you think it might help to talk to other people trying to lose weight, join us in the Battling Obesity group. I promise we won't pray for you

Thanks

You shouldn't have kept your mouth closed, but your choice.

I cut out sugar and carbs 11 months and 90 lbs ago. Bread and sugar were my addictions, but now I hardly miss them - there's this one damned bakery that doesn't help a bit with all their delicious odors, though. Anyways, good luck in changing your eating habits. If I can cut them out anyone can.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 30, 2019

So, you like rice? Ok, switch to cauliflower rice. You look tater tots? Get Veggie Tots. You like spaghetti? Buy a spaghetti squash and add your sauce. I am a chef and had to cook for a diabetic. This wasn't God telling you what to do. I am just a horny male that joined this page to look for puntang.

Excellent exchanges...

My experience with dietary eliminations (I've done a few: meat, dairy, gluten) is the hardest part is at the beginning--once you "break the seal" so to speak, the cravings eventually dwindle away to nothing. It can suck at first but it gets progressively easier the longer you stick with it. Good luck!

Too bad. But, of course, the person probably believed he "meant well." You could get the alleged "prayer benefit" by meditating and letting your mind clear so you know what YOU want to do, however.

When he is almighty and all-knowing, he should have known about your problem and he should have prevented that you became addicted to carbohydrates in the first place. It probably is not the cake you love, it's the combination of taste-elements-sugar and structure of the cake, I guess. Just like every addiction you can stop cold turkey, or you can cut it down, down, down until you reach the weight you desire. I have the same problem, I have cut it down to the minimum. I do still eat the loved products so once in a while, but totally controlled. That's not easy and takes a lot of will power, but it is doable. I lost 15 kg, until now and I'm slowly, slowly losing more. I accept that I have to loose fast what I gained in 40 years. I'm not borderline diabetic anymore and also my blood pressure medication is back to a minimum and periods of zero. What I prepare for dinner is a bowl of 10 oz and I try to put in as much fibers as I can. A lot of beans and peas. I don't avoid rice, but take brown rice. Every combination is never more than 10 oz together. I have also a nice video that can help. I only have to find a way to post it. If your Gawd doesn't help you, you are the only one that can. I guess …

Gert Level 7 Jan 26, 2018

Firstly good luck in your struggle to control your diet. I don't really have any sensible advice that you don't already know. You know praying is not going to help. God and carbs have a history that goes way back and its not good
I do 'believe' god rained carbs down upon the Israelites when they wandered through the desert as they escaped pharoe and killed someone when he complained about it
So my guess is praying about it is unlikely to get you a sympathetic ear 😉

It isn't cutting out carbs that you need to do, you need to control your total carb intake at the same time choose slow digested carbs like whole grains, vegetables and brown rice over sugar, bleached flour, white rice and corn meal. Count your total carbs each day and make half your plate vegetable. It is tough but it is worth it to remain in good health.

As for your friends thank them for doing nothing while feeling good about themselves or just thank them for wishing you well.

You have my sympathies re the diabetes, I love to bake, more so, I love baked goodies. I make my own bread, not a great fan of cakes. The starches/carbs cause me weight probs, thankfully unlike my whole family, diabetes is not one of my problems, phew. hmm, I have a guest for dinner, main is almost done, ahhh what the hell, will just knock up a quick brioche.

I have been diabetic for close to 10 years now. I was off of the pills for a few years but had to go back on them and currently on injections as well. I love my sweets as well. Anyway, just be smart about your carbs, like using whole grain instead of the processed goods and always add extra protein to your diet to slow down the absorption of carbs. Like, adding extra meatballs to your spaghetti. I compare it to living with a venomous snake, you either learn to live with it, or it will end your life. Personally, I would have answered that friend by saying, which one?

As for the religious friend I'm sure the intent was to comfort you . Thoughts and prayers are comforting to theist they think it works the same for non believers. Take it for what it is we LL intentioned and useless.

As an atheist you understand this is the only chance you get, live your life to make you happy if that means cutting carbs to live longer then good luck . If eating rich foods and cake are what's going to make you happy good luck. Where are your priorities long life with boring food or shorter life with great food.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.