Agnostic.com

4 2

Do we have a name/label for the equivelent of “dry drunks” in/for atheism?

Often when an alcoholic stops drinking, they still retain all the characteristics they had which supported their addiction. Such as, lying for no reason or over reacting emotionally to the smallest slight and so on. They keep the old thought patterns and behaviors even though they are no longer drinking.
From time to time I encounter a person who is no longer religious, but still keeps all the behaviors and attitudes and moral outrage as if they were still had religious beliefs.
Religion is so enmeshed into our culture that even a few persons who were not raised I religion, but who have a fearful disposition still develop the same behaviors as religious persons.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a name for it?

snytiger6 9 Sep 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can we call them "praytheists" and mock them at the playground? Please?

Obviously they already have an overactive fear of change and anger toward those who are different from them.

A study, published in the journal Psychological Science found lower intelligence scores in childhood were predictors of greater racism.
Those those with poor abstract-reasoning skills were more likely to have anti-homosexual prejudice and authoritarian attitudes.

The study indicates a vicious cycle, in which people with low intelligence are drawn to socially conservative ideologies. In turn, those ideologies can contribute to prejudices.

Link: [theglobeandmail.com]

Link: [livescience.com]

I'm glad there are studies to prove that. I learned mostly by personal observation that persons who hold one prejudice often also hold many other groups than the one they talk about.

Being a gay man, I noticed that those who dont' liek gays aften also think less fo women, blacks Hispanics, Jews and so on...

Since Trump was elected, I see a lot more arguments that smack of eugenics (a theory that has been debunked many times over, but is still often used by white supremacists to try to try to make an argument for racial superiority), mostly on Facebook, but I have seen it once or twice on this site too.

There is really only one race... the human race. Diversity does nto mean one group is superior in all ways to other groups.

we can describe it, and we can limit it to a couple words, but there's no established term. yet you'll see posts by folks here about being an atheist but what about ghosts, what about heaven, what about the soul, what about astrology, etc. it's weird but there it is.

g

Excellent question/observation. I need to think about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184024
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.