Agnostic.com

9 1

If you were ever religious, do you ever recall making sacrifices for god to prove your love to him?

This is quite embarrassing, but there was once a time when I was friends with a Pentecostal lady when I tried to do just that, way before I stopped believing, but found myself starting to doubt the existence of god. Thinking he would show me the way cause I started doubting, I once did go through with sacrificing hours at my job that almost took toll on me financially because I tried doing what I thought was right by taking off work every Sunday just to go to Church for every morning and evening service. I recall being faithful about it, too. I took off e dry Sunday, trusted god, yet nothing never happened. I was only left feeling empty and ignored. I only found myself nearly struggling to pay my bills and rent and that is when I decided it wasn’t enough and was over the whole thing and took back my Sunday’s and returned to work. Of course I was blamed by the religious when I didn’t see anything about my life changing when I worked so hard devoting my time to god. At least trying to, anyway. They told me I didn’t have enough faith or I just had secret sin in my life. Just finding ways to make me the problem and god the victim. I really drew the line with them when they TRIED convincing me not to take medicine anymore and to trust in god completely because I think a part of me always knew it was b.s. Has any of you had any experiences similar if there was a time you followed religion?

EmeraldJewel 7 Sep 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fasting and money

Yes, I denied the scientific research teaching of evolution. That I some how did that, I know find embarrassing.

Of course. This is the religious way. It is the Pentecostal way. "Faith enough" might explain it all but there is not a defined meaning for "faith." It's a matter of whether you meld into the belief system or not. I studied too much and melded out.

Only my entire Childhood and young adult life. Now the thought embarrasses me.

I did not think that a God who supposedly knows all and has everything, would need anything from me. It never made any sense to me, even when I believed.

IKR!!! So many things I kept trying to deny this cause I bought I was doubting god lol. I’m so embarrassed now!

I did not think that a God who supposedly knows all and has everything, would need anything from me. It never made any sense to me, even when I believed.

i'm glad you came to the realization that it was bunk. but no, that would never in a million years ever have occurred to me.

g

I think the biggest thing I did to curry favor with god was to stay married to my first wife for 15 years, which is about 14.5 years longer than any sane person should have. I knew "god hates divorce" and that if I trusted him he'd make even a bad marriage good.

Like you, I was "only left feeling empty and ignored".

And of course, it's always Your Fault Somehow if what they tell you will happen if you do X, doesn't happen.

She's a ward of the state mental health system, and has been since a few months after I left. She never wanted to be in our children's life either. When our son died a couple of years back our daughter notified her; they brought my ex into the county mental health facility to make sure she'd be okay. Her caseworkers had no clue she even had children. It was a complete surprise to them.

That's the sort of person I tried to salvage a relationship with because god supposedly desired it. What a fucking idiot I was for Jesus.

Not an idiot, just misled by the virus of religion. Luckily I only spent a short while taking Sunday’s off to go to church.

@EmeraldJewel Never knew you came out of Pentecostal. So did I.

@DenoPenno I don’t think I was trying to kiss up to god cause I wanted heaven, just I was trying to build a relationship with god cause I thought it was the right thing to do and never felt anything. Yes! Pentecostal lifestyle is a rough one!

Attending church was sacrifice enough !

Hahaha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.