Agnostic.com

31 4

On a scale of 1 to 10, how annoyed are you when the religious try to mix science with belief!

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, that doesn't bother me - it's so nonsensical it's like when a small child tries to claim it was the cat that drew a picture in felt-tip pen on the new wallpaper. Bless their little cotton socks for trying.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

Lol since you put it like that, now that is funny. I actually had a 50 something year old woman tell me that the reason scientist discovered earth a lot older than six thousand is cause god had to put the earth on pause while he was handling the devil at the time of him kicking him out of Heaven. I kid you not.

From 1 to 10 I am 'facepalm'.

They're not just trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. No, they're shaving off the corners.

More amused then anything else... see how they're struggling to prove their point. We don't have to prove anything. Show me the god and we can talk about his love..... it's all bullshit.

Lol another YouTuber Christian troll came for me, asking for proof that god set up Adam and Eve to fail so I had to explain to them. I guess all that religion ate whatever was left of their brain cells.

As annoyed as when an atheist mix belief with science.

There's a very big difference between atheist's beliefs and Christians belief. The first is based and science and reason; the second are mostly not, but rather result from unquestioning acceptance of authority and rationalizations.

@MST3K No, let me tell you that science was never part of me accepting I was an atheist while in catholic private school. I had not seen science has the vehicle that showed me the truth. You don't need science to be your savior... if you do... you just substituted one religion for another and called it something else to make you feel better about what you do... but if you need science to validate your truth... you need science to validate your truth. It is your life and I accept you as you are.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I accept you as you are as well. You and I see some things differently., and that is OK.

@MST3K of course is OK.

It’s every day Life it’s been done since the beginning of time. First. The person with the science is a wizard. Then it becomes common and adapted to the religion to fight the next wizard with science and so on and so on. Part of the reason I fight so hard against common religion. If they would just let go we could move forward leaps and bounds.
Look at the past 100 years. As science slowly won over religion technology moved faster during the 100 years than it did in the prior 15000 before it. And as we slowly push the radicals out of power the faster that will become. Slowly the world is waking up. They just need to let go of their fears and want to control everyone else around them.

Sometimes christians say something scientifically valid - and when they do, their words are as sensible as anyone else's.

The problem is that when christians try to use science to back their beliefs, when they almost invariably descend into nonsense and 'pseudo science' which is as invalid as the faith they are trying to support.

It’s not just Christians, though. It can be any religious groups of people, but I do see your point.

@EmeraldJewel your completely right. But as a traveler. Christians and I’m talking all from mormans to Catholics and every weird little iteration in between. They have been the worst I have ever seen. Brutally and forcefully so. Even in their kinder ways haha.

Science and belief simply do NOT and can NOT mix. It is an oxymoron.(IMHO)

Exactly! That’s my point. They’re desperate to stay true to their belief.

Exactly on point. I thought the same thing..

It is usually cherry picking data to reinforce their beliefs, but leaving out all the other details which destroy their argument. Its the lack of willingness to challenge thier own beliefs which fuels this way of thinking. It can be very frustrating at times, but only when my family members talk this way. Anyone else, I don't respect them enough to care what they think

I pull door knockers over this. It is generally some guy from somewhere like the university of Bosman Montana (no offence) that they quote. So I just say you cant have it both ways. You either accept science or you dont.

Pretty annoyed. Science is about drawing conclusions based on evidence; belief is about propping up your beliefs DESPITE evidence.

That said, I am religious. I am an Atheopagan, which is a science-based, Earth-revering religious path. Not all religions are about belief in the supernatural.

I don't usually find it annoying. Usually just amusing or an opertunity for a debate. Sorry about the caps.

Creationism is the most laughable pseudoscience there is. Amazing that some people actually believe it. Good thing they don't teach it in our schools.

10 - I feel like religion wants to take the credit away from science. Religion wants to talk science
When it's convenient for religion. There's no place
In science when it comes to belief.

The ironic thing is the religious used to kill scientist on the past, now want to take credit for science.

1, because it will come back to ruin them, giving people a spark of knowledge is dangerous for a leader of the mindless.

If they can embrace science through the lens of religion, that's great in my book. It's far better do accept science that way, instead of rejecting science outright because their little book didn't say specifically 'XYZ'.

its a little bit funny.....elton. 2

I'd say pretty close to 25 -- maybe a bit more.

It’s quite annoying. If their religion doesn’t add up to reality/ science then maybe they need to reconsider their belief cause something isn’t right.

I’m right there with you!

@EmeraldJewel Good luck with that.

@jlynn37 ikr! All the religion killed their brain cells.

It gets worse every time, I think I'm about at a 14 at this point

It actually saddens me. I was a fundamentalist wacko, I know what it is like from both sides. the big difference is as an athiest there is zero cognative disodence. So I would give it a 10 for empathy and sadness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18461
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.