Agnostic.com

11 1

Have you ever dreamed you were reading something?

Just saw this and thought this is nonsense so I thought I'd test it. So have you ever had a dream in which you were reading either letters or numbers since it is supposed to be impossible to do either?

• 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 7 votes
  • 4 votes
Kimba 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have, but found it difficult to focus on details.

No, but I often dream that I'm studying maps.

I've even had dreams that were just about lists or numbers, in one case the numbers didn't even have the decency to be on a piece of paper they were just there, Mind you it has usually been when I was working on something like a reconciliation or organising an event and it seems my brain just kept going even though I was asleep. I'd wake up if I worked it out, turn on the light, write down the answer or the extra item to go on the list then go back to sleep, weirdly enough it was usually right..

Kimba Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

I'm always stepping on pot holes in my recent dreams - which causes me to wake. But, no, I can't remember ever reading in any of the dreams that I can remember.

I'm sure I would have dreamt of reading because of the understanding that dreams are your brain cataloguing your day experiences. I just can't remember them.

I voted for "Neither".

I read in my dreams all the time. I can also smell and feel textures, wind, pain. I even have certain places that I've had different dreams in but the same location. Never sure why this was thought to be true other than the one Batman cartoon episode where the scarecrow tries to kill the Batman by trapping him a dream

I have several recurring dream locations.

I'm offered a lot of documents in my dreams. Some I can read, some I know what they say, and sometimes I just see words. But most of it's gobbly-gook.

After a long session of study, I most certantly read within my dream. But I regularly have lucid or very realistic dreams from which can cause me to question if the dream was real.

I remember reading traffic and street signs while driving in dreams. I remember having sex, drinking and eating... counting money. Signing my name. Reading the name of hotel or club going into. Reading schedules on airports. Looking at a watch or clock and noticing being late. writing a song and creating wonderful music hard to duplicate in real life. While dreaming coming up with great titles like "true believers of the farse". Well on my dreams.

I’m pretty sure the whole brain is involved in dreaming. So I don’t believe that meme even without the reading element.

I agree that the meme is nonsense. I think it's difficult to read in a dream because our brains are working so quickly — a long dream might take only a couple of minutes in reality, but feels so much longer. I've read numbers and signs in dreams, and I had a dream where I was reading a book but I couldn't actually see words (I tried). I think short words and numbers are easier because they're short and we can manufacture them quickly in a dream, but trying to generate a full page of text in a book takes a lot more focused concentration. I mean, it's not like the book already exists and we're reading it; we have to both create the visualization of the book and read the words, all in a matter of seconds. That's asking a lot of our brains. 🙂

I never thought about it, but no, I can't recall ever having letter's in any of my dreams....but numbers, yes...I used to do all of my homework for each semester in one weekend...afterward, for about a week, I would dream about redoing it....I guess there were words in the dream, now that I think about it...wait...history too...when I got really involved in a topic, I would replay the pages in my dreams...with words included....wait again...songs...band days...I would write songs in my dreams too...on paper...writing can be so cathartic...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18474
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.