Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Exorcising the Ghosts of the Sixties - TheHumanist.com

FTA: From The Article: Minority identity politics (gay, black, Hispanic, indigenous, feminist, etc.) certainly became more relevant mid-century onward, but the notion that identity politics per se began in the sixties is ridiculous. As is the notion, commonly disseminated by podcast intellectuals, that the white identity politics championed by Trump supporters and crypto-fascists is in some way a reaction to minority identity politics. The truth is minority identity politics was a reaction to the majority identity politics of boys-only golf clubs, segregated schools, white Christian councils, and sodomy laws. The adoption of this manner of thinking and organizing might’ve been politically or intellectually shortsighted, but it certainly wasn’t the origin of something new; and, unlike its counterpart, usually 
moved toward the application of enlightenment principles rather than away from them.

zblaze 7 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In London we had a gay man in the fifties Quentin Crisp who went out cottaging most evenings and was beaten up and kept doing it ;he wore make up all the time and became an Icon and was still battered - it seems inconceivable looking back on it that any of that was allowed to happen & strange that something that others see as offensive should even matter they don't have to look - I really think what anybody chooses to do is none of my business, unless they want to hurt me.

I saw a movie about him once years ago. I recognized his name. not sure what it was titled, good movie though.

We as social people must stop the US and them concept. We are all unique individuals that want to express our lives in whatever way feels good to us. Churches put up dividers and judgements for the sole purpose of making money for a church that continues to tell others what to think. Tolerance is a start to heal the rift. Non judgement must follow.

Personally...as a Lesbian...I resent being "tolerated"

Churches are not about freedom, unless it means free to be like them and think like them.

The nazis discredited many progressive cultural movements with the term "cultural bolshevism", including art, architecture, homosexuality among other things. The struggle between those who support progress and those who decry the degeneration of our society is much much older than the sixties. There might be a pendulum that sometimes swings this sometimes that way but those fractions will always be there, from the conspiracy theorist to downright racists to conservatives who can't tolerate the existence of gay people. The only hope we have is that those groups become more and more marginal with time.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 22, 2018

they will only become marginal when the mainstream stops accepting them, and that will only happen when their supporters and enablers are voted out of power.

g

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.