Agnostic.com

17 1

Do you believe in soulmates?

Carolyne 6 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know about the term soulmate but I do believe there is someone for everyone.

Leaning towards no now a days....

As per Merriam-Webster Dictionary the Definition of Soul Mate - 1 : a person who is perfectly suited to another in temperament
2 : a person who strongly resembles another in attitudes or beliefs. Nowhere does it say there is only one to be had in a persons lifetime or to which belief system that is geared towards. So with that, I say yes I believe in Soul Mates. To me it's just a word used to describe an incredible bond, suitability and deep love and the amazing connection you feel for your partner. When you connect with someone on a whole other level, to me thats a soul mate. Unless you have experienced it, you won't be able to compare a soul mate connection v's just a Love connection. There IS a difference.

No - that is a vestige of religious thought. There are many people who are compatible for long term relationships. How else do you explain people who have had multiple marriages?

since i don't believe in souls, i can't believe in literal soulmates. i have seen some people who are really suited to one another and who love one another. that's all. that's a LOT!

g

While I certainly have seen seemingly really good pairings, some are definitely better than others.
As for "soulmate" - no. There is more than one for each of us, as is shown when a relationship ends. Almost always, no matter how close, or how long the match was, a new partner is found.

I have known people who thought they had found their soulmates...and then they got married.

So true?

Depends on your definition, but likely, no, I don't agree with your belief. As others have pointed out, unbelievers generally don't hold with the concept of souls or destiny to begin with, so it's kind of a stillborn concept if you're thinking consistently about life in general.

Any one can potentially have a completely satisfactory and even transcendent relationship with any of tens of thousands of people somewhere on the planet. The trick is identifying them correctly. So "The One" does not exist as such. Just many potential "The One's".

This doesn't subtract one iota from what is possible with one of those people, but it does remove it from the fantasy realm of Best Destiny controlled by some (at least intermittently) benevolent outside Source.

That pretty much leaves the possibility that one can develop, with one of these potential candidates, an intense connection that feels like two lives are subsumed into each other (in some way that is still not dysfunctional; we'll set aside for the moment how or if that would even work). I would say that in principle any two people who are basically compatible and willing to work on it together can at least approach that ideal. In practice, I don't think it happens often or consistently. It's far less exact and more fraught a process than is generally hoped.

What in the world is a soul? then soulmate?

No. I do not believe in the idea of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I'm sorry I don't mean to be less than positive but since I don't believe in the concept of the soul I can't possibly believe in the concept of a soulmate

I believe we have several soulmates in our lifetime and not all of them are necessarily romantic. Some are family members and platonic friends.

Depends on what you mean by that.
People used to say that soul mates were when a soul split at conception to make twins, and then in another reincarnation you recognize each other.

I did meet a man, once, who came close to that definition..we'd read the same books and articles, had similar hobbies and interests, finished each others' sentences, both were fanatic ballroom dancers and photographers, etc
Later on, he made a remark about one of his relatives and I found out we were cousins, three times removed.

This was in Lexington, KY, so from then on, he'd jokingly call me "Sis" when we appeared as a couple in public.

I've never had a soulmate, but I have talked with several couples who describe their partner as their soulmate.

I used to. Then she left me.

Since I don’t believe in souls, I suppose not πŸ˜‰ Like minded, yes, and what a treat!

Varn Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

Smell is the most important connection. Overt and covert, hormones and pheromones. The sense of smell will attempt to dissuade other thoughts. Beware.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.