Agnostic.com

9 0

Do you believe that experience leads to beliefs?

SonnyMlaPH 7 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I will say it is possible, but improbable. Most beliefs don't come from experiences. Beliefs are normally taught by family and community starting on day one.

yes. I see it regularly. Children start to become parrots of their idols. As adults assume they were always that way.

argo Level 4 Nov 3, 2017

Poor kids, how sad. They've been deluged with "a tv in every room" to quote Cliff Robertson from the film "Charly"

I think that experience mostly leads to nonbelief.

Yes, it could really go either way.

We all build our own patterns of meaning and patterns of action based on our interpretation of events and experience. That is what enables us to deal with the world we interact with. In general, the vast body of psychological evidence shows that we act our way into believing, not vice versa. We act, see what the results are and build our patterns of behavior accordingly.

Very well explained. Thanks

My own personal experiences have certainly lead to my lack of belief. All religious stories and anecdotes appear t have very little basis in fact or science or even logic and the contentions of various religions are, to me, quite ridiculous.

mjpwl Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

Too many failed expectations and no answers from an omnipresent god turn many people to the other side of the belief fence.

Though not all our experiences and beliefs are geared towards the religious – that’s just my personal opinion, if you will.

What is life but a long path that teaches us what to believe? I mean, no question we get it wrong sometimes. But evolution has kind of designed us to learn how to not die and adjust our beliefs accordingly.

Amen.

Yes. Every time I accidentally sit on a fire ant colony my butt and legs get horribly stung leading me to believe if I want to avoid getting stung I need to not sit on a fire ant colony.

SamL Level 7 Oct 20, 2017

Yyyyaaaaaaaaouch! those red hardheads with big mandibles!

I think it's a total lack of experience that leads to beliefs.

LOL - you just knocked me off my seat!

Lead to religious beliefs? Yes and no. We are often indoctrinated by inherited beliefs--no experience necessary. Unless you consider childhood indoctrination an experience in itself. At other times, we have experiences that might seem useful to us for framing new beliefs around (or reaffirm previously held beliefs), if those new beliefs are are considered to be useful/efficacious in themselves.

Not only religious beliefs, pardon me, man cannot live by God alone. We experience a lot of things everyday of our lives.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.