Agnostic.com

19 2

So, if the doctors told you that you only had 6 months to live, what would you do with the remaining time. For the sake of the question let's assume that you would be lucid, functional, and any pain would be manageable for most of those 6 months.

One friend of mine said that they would be willing to volunteer on a humanitarian suicide mission, such as shutting down a runaway nuclear reactor.

A question I find myself asking; is there anything I could be doing now, that I would only develop the courage to do if I knew I was on the measured mile.

Epic-curious 5 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Head for the British Isles. On my bucket list.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

Hello Everyone, Thank you all for your comments!

I think I would give a substantial donation to a charity of my choice (perhaps to research and treatment of people with diabetes or mental illness). As for myself, I would like to get a chance to have a conversation with Alanis Morissette, a really nice stereo, care and computer, and visit a lot with my several closest friends. I would also like to end my life as my choice, with friends / family there, and with as little pain as possible.

I must also add, eat whatever I want, and get the chance to have really good sex!

Just what I'm doing now, only with my son, too. He lives in Cornwall, Ontario, a 13-hour drive away. I would want my kids together so I could visit daily and give them more family history, and talk to people on this site. Even without a 6-month time limit, life's too short to do anything but what you want every day. So I do. I might be faster in getting a bed warmer, though. Life's too short to be cold.

I would travel - want to see Stonehenge, the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, maybe Spain and Italy, maybe Ireland .... I might just tell off all the abusive Fundies who forced to me quit a couple of jobs, forced me to change my phone number and forced me to move house. I would make sure to leave money to organizations that teach people to think critically - atheist and secular groups. I would donate money to human rights groups.

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 27, 2018

Take out a massive personal loan and a bunch of credit cards, make the Church of England my sole inheritor, and go absolutely wild on holidays, travel, restaurants, gambling, and all the vices!

Watch the movie the guitar. I will by fierce Will turn those 6 months into 6 decades or die trying.

Ooh! I would go ahead and use those irresponsible credit card offers I seem to always get. 😉

I would spend most of my time with family, which happen to be scattered across the expanse of the U.S. which means travel, hence the credit cards. I would make sure my child's mother knows where to look for my life insurance. And I would try (with family) to see Italy, Scotland, and Alaska, places I have wanted to visit for many years but never got around to.

Change nothing in my routine.

I'd travel as much as I was able, eat whatever the hell I want, meet new and interesting people, and definitely spend a month or so in Romania. Then if I got to the point where I was in extreme pain, I'd have one last get together with the family and then end it. If not in pain or extreme discomfort, I'd let nature take its course and enjoy each day.

And yes! Eat whatever and how much I want, definitely!

Visit the people, and places I always thought were cool.

If you're looking for courage/inspiration, you might have anchored your quest with a questionable premise.

The doctors can state 6 months with authority but it's really a statistical prediction. Anyone can be an outlier and live much much longer. I'd plan for the possibility that I will be that outlier and continue with my established agenda. This is probably a good idea for someone who ordinarily lives with purpose and without regrets.

Case in point: Chicago Tribune for 1/26/2018 has an article about a special needs man who lived beyond one prediction after another: [chicagotribune.com]

Very good idea.

I am not looking for courage/inspiration. As far as I know I am in good health.

The question was put out there, so that I could read people's responses, and maybe get some new perspectives I had not considered. Like yours. Thank you for your response.

I can certainly see your point. My maternal grandmother lasted several years past her "expiration date". But honestly we only have so many hours in a day. If the probabilities change as to how many are left, I am certainly going to change my priorities. Working full-time and going to school part-time as part of a multi-year plan when faced with a much shorter time table? Plans would change.

Sure I could be killed walking across the street, but life is playing the probabilities.

Our state has the death with dignity program. My late partner was in exactly that position and she took control and signed up for the program. She was surrounded by the community and took care of some things as taking her clothes to the thrift shop, clearing up her will and donating her valuables to our local Domestic Violence Awareness group. After her death she willed he body to the University. I would feel extremely lucky to be able to do the same.

I think everyone should have that choice. That's so much better than lying in a hospital bed, suffering.

@MST3K There are only 5 states in this country with the program. Canada just signed on. Even in E. Wash. it is hard to get doctors to sign as consultants which is one thing our island doctor did a lot - go to the conservative parts and sign paperwork.

I would spend the time in the highest mountain range I could find. I love the mountains. That's pretty much a no-brainer for me.

I'd give away most of my stuff, sell the house, and travel around the US in a nice RV, to visit all my friends from different times in my life, to say goodbye - though I might not tell them I was dying - otherwise there'd be all that crying stuff.
While traveling - I'd eat lots of Russell Stover chocolates, and macaroni with ridiculous amounts of cheese, and bake lots of brownies to eat myself, and give to people along the way.

I'd have sex with anyone of any legal age, who was willing and appealed to me too ! I'd also stop at lots of animal rescue places wherever I found them, and hang out with the animals - pet 'em and such.
I'd sit at toll booths and pay some tolls, buy random people some groceries, walk in to Mom 'n Pop local restaurants and pay for dinners, play my bagpipes on tops of mountains,

Then - for my grand finale, I might do myself in rather than do the slow fade ... whee-e-e-e !

yum ... Russell Stover! also sex, absolutely!

Finish art projects. Don't think I would do that much different. Though, I might live a little larger...

Closing up shop, selling my home and giving away items to family & friends while keeping my children informed of the situation and how best to divvy up my proceeds of life 🙂 I’d certainly volunteer for some one-way mission, like you described, but doubt there’d be many of those.. a good question though ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

I'd blow through my retirement, take my kids on a cruise and spend some serious time with the grand babies. Then I'd volunteer for a suicide mission to change the face of the US to what I think will improve it greatly.

@LennyP49 Did I say POTUS? 😉

Would I be extremely rich or just as I am now?

Sacha Level 7 Jan 26, 2018

Just as you are now. Though think of all the credit card debt you would be free to run up!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.