Agnostic.com

55 8

What do you give instead of thoughts and prayers?

Thoughts and prayers are useless, to an atheist. and I have learned I may have MS. What do I get instead? 😮)

ravnostic 6 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As others before me have said, I think "thoughts" are a valid method of showing one's support. And receiving a message like "I'm thinking of you" or "You are in my thoughts", does produce the "warm and fuzzies" - which can't be anything but a positive. After all, placebos have been scientifically proven to work.

However, prayers without other action are meaningless.

I simply give my support as appropiate.

I'm sending good thoughts your way... I hope you don't have MS. Good luck!

Thoughts arent useless as anything useful to humanity is a manifestation of what was once a thought. Sending positive words/thoughts have nothing to do with a belief in god. since i am no doctor, and don't have any magic potions handy, i can only hope that you find inner peace or peace of mind no matter what happens in this particular situation.

with ms the docs don't have a lot to offer so your thought may have a better effect

[msfocus.org] support groups can provide information

Thanks for that link!

It's a difficult one but thoughts & prayers are only half right, thoughts good, prayers shite. I usually say I'm so sorry , why sorry I've no idea ? But it can be very awkward and distressing .

empathy and true feeling of what you are going through. That is what I wish to give. These idiots that say we will put you on our prayer list. Holy shit, a prayer list too make a surgery successful.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 27, 2018

Worse, I get prayers for a swift recovery. WTF?!? At this time, should the final diagnosis be MS, there IS NO recovery. Do they really think I'll get a miracle?

I'm sorry to hear that you have been told you may have MS. I very much hope you have medical insurance and people who will be there to help out when (and if) you need it.

I give my honest feelings. Could be any version of being sorry, expressing a broken heart, acknowledging that I can't know their pain, etc. If I feel like there is something I can do (i.e. run errands, pick up meds, etc.), I offer that. I don't like to say or hear "Let me know if there is anything I can do."

I’m far too incapable to help most cases where “thoughts and prayers” are offered, all I can do is offer my sympathies, though I prefer offering the best advice I can give, sometimes there is nothing you can do

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress about what might or might not be. If you have MS, cross that bridge when you get there...sending you all the good juju I can spare. Hang in there!!

I'm actually okay with the possibility. The issues have been progressing along for over a year, it's only recently that they have started to impact daily life and I decided to have it investigated. The only difference between before and now is a more concrete understanding of symptoms (some initial tests, some basic "here is what is happening when your legs do this" and a direction to pursue in finding a root cause. There will be a lot of tests, and it could be any number of things (or 2 or 3 things combined) that are the cause. Life has it's cruelties, but I do know people can adapt to life's circumstances, and I am a 'people'.

Shits. I actually give a shit.

Lolz, thanks.

You have my deepest sorrows and i wish you well.

I see the other posts in here saying (I would help). Note: I offer help. But in retrospect... they don't want it unless your a family member. People want to get past their problem and don't want to be reminded of what's next to do by Well wishers and neighbors... they want to grieve if its a death. To be left alone. To do the necessity.

Money, websites, time, a gofundme account, advice, emotional support, a second, third, and fourth opinion.

Just saw the body of your post. I'm so sorry.

Thanks. It is what it is. Lots of things in my life suck, so one more or less doesn't make too much of a difference, just another log on the fire and I deal with them as they come. What else can I do?

MS is a tough disease. i still stick to thoughts. it is a good thing to be kept in mind

People may offer Love - support (in some real world way) - hope that you don't have such a severe diagnosis. I've offered to help friends learn more about what they've been diagnosed with. As that has always helped me. I like knowing what I'm up against. Hang in there!

Rugglesby69% This is the gentleman that post was intended for, not you. I am new to this, so I guess I goofed. He was just a more negative, you prove it all to me, or I am done. What I know I studied and learned over many years. When someone wants to argue a belief system. I will not compete. We, all of us, are what we believe, not what someone else wants to make us. When I am demanded to prove my beliefs as he instructed, I of course do not play that game. Be who you are, not what someone else wants. Please forgive the mistake. Hugs, Rose

Goofs happen, and no one is perfect. No worries.

Oh no not at all. That message was not directed to you. You are sweet and humble. You don't argue. This person said much more to me in a personal post how I must prove my belief system. I was merely telling him that I owed him no need to prove anything. Non of this had to do with you. You are fine. This gentleman wanted to argue about skepticism, of which is not my bag. I am here to care, to love, to help, not fight skeptics. I wil find the place that message was directed to. You are a good person. I can feel your soul. It is loving. You are NOT the person. I will be back. Big Smiles and Swesome teddy bear hugs, Betty.

Okey dokey. Carry on then.

I do not have to substantiate anything. I don't claim to prove myself to you or any others. I am not the head of a cult or A HIGH PRIESTESS asking for your devoted claim of loyalty to me. As a matter of fact I don't give a flying f**K if you believe me, be my friend, or anything else. You have something wrong with your liver or in that area. I feel a warm spot coming from there. I am what I am. I am not on this earth to please or ANSWER TO YOU. If somebody needs me, they will find me. I will help if I can. Sometimes I cannot. I do have events that happened to me, but why should I share them with someone who picks and pulls them apart? Most of that is like a doctor under a code of ethics. I do not talk specifically about people who I helped. You are a big skeptic, Highly negative like most skeptics. I do not argue nor do I debate. I am into harmony, peace, happiness, yin & yang, positive energy and not negative energy. Negative energy makes people sick. It drains their energy. I do not wish to pass that to anyone. I want to make them feel good, happy, and at peace. You don't feel positive vibes. You shut yourself off from others because to feel is to hurt you many times. I do mean when people are negative and rant ot bitch all the time, I leave. I am not running away. I am choosing to put myself where I can do more good than listen to someone yak about how they don't understand why everyone is picking on them. If a person's attitude is continually negative, I simply choose not to get involved in wasted energy. There are too many who need help for me to linger where I am not needed. I don't have a need to convince you of my intentions. A truthful person would know I only wish them the best. Peace out.

O-righty-then. What I feel from you is a bit of misdirected anger, but that's alright, too. Best of life, to you.

Condolances, help, hugs, an ear, kindness and understanding and a shoulder if needed.

Wow, that's quite a bit, I like that.

Do you need a replacement for prayers? Sharing thought in a good conversation is never wrong, I guess. There are always people that are prepared to listen. And if it's a Christian you share your thoughts with, just tell him or her that they don't have to pray or try to convert you, and that having a good conversation and empathy is good enough for you.

Gert Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

More just curious how others respond to hard news from people they know and\or love. 🙂

I'm actually okay with their thoughts and prayers, I know they don't mean any harm. A simple "Thank you" suffices and usually ends the dialog, freeing me up for more empathic discourse with more like-minded folk, of which there seem to be a good many here.

@ravnostic Well, if it is hard news or not I can't fill in for them. It may be news, but like all other news people have to get even with that. Actually I don't care if they want to pray for me, but they should not tell me that they will. I than reply that they should not pray for me because to me it's a waste of time and energy. I would appreciate it if they would put some effort in trying to understand why I think it's a waste of time and energy is good enough for me, as well as a good conversation about the reasons why 🙂.

Space in my heart and time from my life, in which I will actively try to put myself in your place so I can feel what you feel--and then use that understanding to bend and shape myself into someone better equipped to be compassionate to you. I will give you a piece of my heart (don't worry; it grows back!). I am part of the world so I can make the world better for you by making myself better. I would be honored to do so. I feel it's the most important work we can do.

Since you are just an internet person to me, I can't offer to make you dinner, walk your dog, do your laundry, listen to you process, etc. but I think it goes without saying that kind of material support naturally flows from true compassion. (Actually if you want to vent you can message me. For real. I have some experience with illness and disability.)

If I knew you I would probably write you a poem, draw you a picture.

I don't like to push a bunch of my own stuff on people. I prefer to make it known that I'm open and available and let the other person take the lead as to how they want to avail themselves of my support.

Very kind, thank you. I do have a great many people in my 'local' life fortunately. I was more curious about others I'm just meeting here, how they respond with their loved ones etc.

@ravnostic Ah, well--in that case... same answer stands. 🙂

It depends how far away I am from people. My family, friends, neighbours, and community. I go help or lend an ear, a shoulder. On social media I let them know I am thinking about them and PM a message that gives them my phone number if they ever need to talk. If I have their number I call them instead of PMing them.

i do send good thoughts through meditation

What do you say to the person whose five year-old was kidnapped from the playground?

Help.

I try to offer my time, a listening ear, and the best supportive words or thoughts that I can think of. And I agree with someone else that just being there and showing sympathy helps.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18639
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.