Agnostic.com

9 2

Christmas Celebrations

Anybody else still love Christmas even though you know it's B.S?

MStewart 3 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Growing up Jewish I've often felt left out at Christmas. I celebrate the Solstice and the pagan origins for the holiday season -- most every celebration in December is all about honoring light during the darkest time with hopes for the future and the coming spring. In that way I feel a connection. The Christmas tree, the Yule log -- all pagan in origin.

Tim Minchin said it all. He wrote this song when his daughter was born.
It covers so much in one song its amazing!

Don't really celebrate it... although I do sometimes take advantage of the sales before and after the holidays.

I wouldn't exactly say I love it, but it doesn't bother me. I think the decorations and schmaltzy music is kind of pleasant actually, even if I don't really participate myself.

Our big family holiday is Thanksgiving, because it's a long weekend off for everyone and my wife's kids generally spend Christmas with their biological father. So we're usually alone at Christmas; even my stepson, who lives with us, tends to decamp for his Dad's place for a week or so. My wife and I have a pact not to buy each other gifts. An exchange of cards and mailing out 3 or 4 cards to key relatives or clients is about all we feel obliged to do. So when it comes to Christmas, we're in "we walk among them, but are not of them" territory. It's a peaceful time of year with very low expectations. It's "the most wonderful time of the year" for that reason. Even my client's client's are mostly shut down and there's usually nothing I have to do, work-wise. Very low-stress all the way.

Yup ?‍♀️

Christmas is just a word, call it what ever you like, a celebration of the end of one year and the birth of another that centers around a time of being nice to one another and celebrating family and love, is AOK by me.
Plus I love getting to cook a big ass dinner for everyone highlight of my year. 🙂

i never liked christmas. it's ubiquitous and it's overwhelming. i've never been christian. why do i have to be inundated with this stuff? half the people who celebrate it say "aww, it's not a religious holiday, it's fun, enjoy it!" it is TOO, and it is NOT, and i don't WANT to. the other half want to put the christ back in christmas. if that's what they want, why are they making a public spectacle of it?

g

MY Father would agree with you, he goes away every year to a hotel that does a package specifically for people who hate the holiday, no mention of the C season, no celebrations and even the TV only shows piped in old TV series.
Try it, he loves it. 🙂

@LenHazell53 i wish i could get away! out of curiosity, what and where is this hotel?

g

@genessa some where in Kent I think, but it not the only one, I'll get the details and get back to you

@LenHazell53 ah airfare would be prohibitive, as i am in the usa.

g

@genessa Maybe you can get Rudolph to give you a lift? Oh right.. damn 😉

@LenHazell53 lol no rudolph in the mythology of my people! hmm, who flies? can't think of anyone!

g

@genessa Elijah on his fiery chariot carried by a whirlwind, the cherubim seen by Ezekiel, Enoch carried up to heaven alive, Metatron, (I grant some scholars claim Metatron and Enoch are one and the same) but there are a few. (My Great grandfather was Jewish)

@LenHazell53 do you know where this is located? My husband would love that lol

@LenHazell53 did elijah take passengers? he always stands me up at passover so he probably doesn't lke me. enoch was carried; that's not flying. metatron may or may not be enoch but his name isn't anywhere in the hebrew bible so he obviously has an exclusive service and would not carry me. i think i am out of luck.

g

NO. Luckily, here in Thailand, they don't celebrate it, but have months of celebrating New Year; the regular one on Jan. 1, the Chinese New Year, and the Thai New Year in April..which involves a country-wide waterfight on the hottest day of the year.

I have always loved Christmas, always been my favorite! I'll keep celebrating it just like I'll keep hiding eggs on Easter for my kids!

Easter is not even remotely Christian, even the name is a pagan godess of springtime.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186805
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.