Agnostic.com

30 2

Stereotypes, what is the most common misconception people have about you? Is it from the way you look, dress, sound, where you are from? The fact you have no god? Do you perhaps live up to the stereotype? What about you is so typical? Are you offended by or do you find humour in stereotyping?

Dav87 6 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I wear my khakis and golf shirts, I look like an evangelical. In reality my inner self is rocking a man bun, and wearing a puffy sleeve shirt.

If the stereotype rendered upon me is the devil behind my eyes? I can live with it. Fear not the fangs of the beast...fear the eyes upon thee.

I had accepted I am an old man, that wasted his youth in adventures because you can't hog and save your youth for when you are old. So my life was well wasted in memories. To be able to tell a story that feels made up brings me joy because inside of me I know it happened that way and I am not telling somebody else's story. I was ignorant to the point of being a dangerous man when I wanted to if I wanted to. As a kid I learned even a skill to be used if I ever go to prison... How to do tattoos with needles, newspaper, can, matches, water. The other skill learned was how to make weapons out of nothing. I had been close to the fire... close to the edge. But I am still here because I am a survivor willing to do anything needed to survive. Last time I was tested I backed down despite the fact of having with me the best back up I could want. My son's big shadow. But it is exactly that, I don't need to prove anything to anyone anymore. My son was ready for things go in the other direction but was surprise by my composure against a nobody... The clash of two stereotypes. But because I had lived and gone places... I will measure who is worth of my anger and who is not. Got my stories, lived my times... Good Health, Clean Record. Never been on handcuffs, I been treated fair by the police with only one exception and it was a minority cop. So I defend cops despite today's bad rap. I got some nephews on it trying to do the right thing and keeping everybody safe. I had been pampered and spoiled by women. Never met a bad woman, never got my heart broken, I can't say I ever will. I had been my own Hero for so long that "I don't keep altars to fallen generals". I got a thick spanish accent and english is my 2nd language. I am not your typical anything so stereotyping me is your mistake and not mine. I am Latino and not Hispanic. I do have a problem with those that had never lived either personal wars or romance... does not matter... What they been doing? They have nothing to talk about? I still can dance the night away. I depend of no medication or substance to keep me active or sane. I am irreverent because I have no respect for those afraid of living or afraid of dying. You can judge me, box me into any category you want but I am going to be me until I die. Like my grandmother used to say about me... "You had been on your own since age 12 you just didn't told nobody in the house". And in all her wisdom... she was right.

Because I am not a foo foo girly girl and like sports, men think I am gay. As a result, I have not been very successful as far as romantic relationships goes. Why the hell are people so judgemental?

Stereotyping is a natural human behavior that will never cease to exist as long as we are humans. As primative man we put all Preditors in the "bad" catagory. Those who did not are not our ansestors! Today when Jehovah's witnesses show up on our doorstep we do not expect to dragged out on the street and lynched (though listening to them might seem almost as bad).

My point here is that Sterotyping is necessary for us to judge our surroundings. This methodology is not always benifital or correct, but it is how our brain functions and how we interact with each other. I simply accept it for what it is, good and bad, and do not see it as anything to admire or to hate.
I think the best Qoutte concerning the subject is from Dr. Martin Luther Kig Jr. "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but the content of their charactor." This will of course never happen completely, but it is a great ideal to strive for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.