Agnostic.com

8 8

QUESTION Debunking 5 'Patriotic' Myths Republicans Actually Believe are True | Forward Progressives

Just a little quick help and reference for those who have friends and/or relatives who are rabidly religious and political.

snytiger6 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

3) E Pluribus Unum is our national motto, not In God We Trust.

Tomas Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

And, as the article said, there's more where that came from. The Right has for years now talked about "their" America, as if they & their narrow vision is all this country is. They use revisionist history & outright lies & fear to further divide this country. Doesn't seem very patriotic to me!

Patriotism has always been a two sided blade that can easily cut both ways depending on how it is used.

I am glad to see this post. I am so old that I can actually remember when "under God" was added to the pledge and what a pain it was to remember to include it at first. Patriotism comes from the heart, not from the lips.

If & when I need to recite the "Pledge" I leave out "under god". It's not illegal. (Yet!)

@WizardBill I tend to leave it out also.

Hi Snytiger6,that was very interesting and I have pasted it onto my FB Page and will include it on Agnostic.com

The facts are pretty well known, and easily checked. The current issue is that due to media consolidation and lack of competition in news agencies, current news agencies (at least in the4 U.S.) jus report what people say without ever verifying whether or not what was iiad was actually true or often even relevant..

I remember Nancy Grace, T.V. legal commentator/lawyer saying the if the Founding Fathers heard how there was a movement to remove the "...under God..." from the Pledge of Allegiance that "...the founding fathers would turn over in their graves." Evidently, she is ignorant of the history of the Pledge of Allegiance and in particular the "under God" in that it came long after the founding fathers. I remember that I was in the Sixth Grade when the change came about.

I think there are several persons int he media who do know better, but report inaccurate information in order to promote their right wing agenda(s).

I remember when Dan Rather was fired from CBS, supposedly for using a bad source for his reporting. He got the story right, even if he could not get a second "on the record" verification. They fired him because he was not willing to (knowingly) lie to viewers. The questionable source was just an excuse to get rid of him.

A local Fox affiliate appealed a wrongful dismissal su9it filed to two reporters whoi refused to lie on the aire about a story concerning Monsanto. Fox kep appealign until they foudn a judge who said that as employees the reporters were required to lie if they were todl to do so. Since that ruling, media companies have made a point to hire those who will say waht they are told without question. Just pretty faces who can read teleprompters well. There are very few actual journalists in media any more. Just a bunch of pretty faces who never even heard of fact checking.

Conservatives dont seem to want to admit this stuff is true ............ So self righteous

Good post. I've heard most of those before, but it's good to get a reminder every now and then. Thanks.

Why wasn't God and Country are synonyms on the list?

@MrLizard It was more of a rhetorical comment than a question.

@MrLizard We might be good friends!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.