Agnostic.com

14 5

Have any of you tried online dating?

As I'm sure a lot of you know, living in a small town in the Bible belt can drastically limit the dating pool. OkCupid has been okay, I've had an account for a while.

Lately, I've found a site that's borderline satirical. It's called Bumble.

The concept behind bumble is actually really interesting. You make a profile, and swipe right or left on potential matches much like tinder. What makes it interesting is, guys aren't allowed to send the first message. The girl has to make the first move. I really like that part.

What makes it funny is, literally 3 out of 5 girls on there have something in their bio like "warrior of God," "Jesus is boo" or "god is my #1."

I've spent more time counting the thumpers than I have looking for matches. I've just never seen so many in a place that isn't aimed at religion. It's almost like this place, but for theists.

Labratthecattron 4 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One site I find to be wonderful is Plenty of Fish, They also have filters that allow you to find like minded people. I remain on it after years and have a nice bucket of female friends.
I do not see this site as a dating site, it is more focused on discussion and that is why I am here.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 29, 2018

I've been on a few and it's very disappointing. Some people seem to be looking for an instant relationship with their perfect partner, which is not reality. And I live in a major metropolitan area where you think more people would be more mature and realistic and accepting of diverse ways of thinking and/or be able to put more than two sentences together and say something of substance, but I haven't seen that, either. Really tired of guys who just give me their statistics and think that's how I'm going to know them.

I haven't been on an actual dating site in several years. Even in a big place like Chicago my age drastically limits the pool as well, especially since some significant number of men my age are looking for young and blonde -- their search often stops at several years younger than they are (or claim to be). But if I set my search criteria to 10 years younger through 2 years older, you should hear the abuse I get from some men! Too bad, though. We women live 5-10 years longer on average. It makes a lot more sense for the man to be younger.

Yeah, most dudes are pigs. I apologise on behalf of all of us. Lol

Same! I am from Kentucky originally and I found that even including the word “atheist” in my headline wouldn’t keep the god-lovers out of my inbox. Some just would drop by to tell me that I am going to hell, others lacked basic reading comprehension and when I explained my atheism, they freaked out. Let’s hope this site eliminates that issue for the both of us 🙂

I'm on a couple of them and it's so disappointing that I don't log on unless I get a notification or having a really slow day.

It's a conservative redneck town I live in. I am also in my 50s so all the men want to do is drink, ride their Harley, fish, drink some more and "be a gentleman". Oh yea, golf.

Most of the bio is full of misspellings and although I try not to judge, there is a spell checker but they are too lazy to use it.

Then we have the aging surfer dude who demands fit and has a 7 year kid which means he wants a woman in her 30s

I cannot forget the 70 somethings looking for a nurse with a purse.

True I am chubby but I look like I am in my early 40s, have a income, my own home and truck, but I just do not attract non religious men in my age range.

So I will remain single rather than settle.

It's discouraging in small town Oklahoma. I try to keep my mouth shut and keep myself protected from the thumpers. The men folk assume that I'm quiet or weak and that makes me a target for assholes who think they can dominate me. It's cyclic, the more they thump me, the more I hide. ** Thing is, I'm not shy or easily dominated or god fearing. The situation has formed a mold around me.

gipsy Level 4 Jan 28, 2018

I'd just be loud, but only about what you like and believe in. Don't pander to people.

This isn't the middle East, you won't get arrested. Lol

There's an atheist convention coming to Tulsa this year.

One argument I heard from a woman currently is, how will prospective suiters know a woman is single. . Iin this era of female equality. So they should.make a move first. The are first to cry injustice

Seems they want to be seen as a good godfearing person, so trust them. Lol

Several years back I signed up for a couple free dating sites. It took me a matter of days to comb through the slim pickins and learn that there was next to nothing of interest to me. Very few guys my age. Not a lot all together. A total bust.

Ifelt like chum in a shark tank. Not really fun. Consequence of low population densityand age cohort. I guess all the late twenty-somethings around here just hit the bars.

I did end up meeting one guy and dating him for a couple of months. (Protip for ladies: NO ROOFERS!)

1/10 would not recommend. YMMV.

Jesus is boo?! Lol thats a new on hahaha

What about this website? It seems set up to let people get to know each other first.

I'd feel creepy if I tried to get to know someone like that from this website unless they messaged me first. It feels more like a discussion board.

I added that app and was too scared to actually use it. It looked interesting at first but I just couldn’t do it.

I like how this site is setup. Everyone gets to know each other by asking questions without having to say they’re interested. People come to know you and look past the face, which we all do, and instead get to know people through conversation.

I really like the se up here. I'm blown away by the ease of conversations and how inclusive they are. Can't find anything like this freedom in my little Oklahoma town. I'm just delighted to be part of it.

Same here. It’s a great site to find not only a partner but friends too. Plus, I love the questions people ask.And through questions people see the inside and the shame I hide for being on disability and struggle with depression. It just feels like a safe place here to be myself. @gipsy

I'm on plenty of fish. There are a lot of options there ,a lot click the box saying non religious but I find very few atheist. Also with online dating sites I've noticed the girls standards go way up as compared to what they would accept if they were to meet in real life. I think it has to do with having too many options. I've found a few one nighters there but if you are looking for someone it seems the best way is to get off the internet and be social.

"Jesus is boo"?

Yes. That's a direct quote.

@Labratthecattron I would have been tempted to try and get a date with her, just so I could ask her what the hell that means

As a young sailor. I learned that the easiest way to find a date in a strange town was to visit the church.. This strategy never failed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.