Agnostic.com

6 2

How do you reply?

Whenever some one says "Amen" I usually reply "And women!" How do you reply to this poor excuse of an ending of a prayer?

SageDave 7 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't feel any need to register or react to it.

It's a traditional coda to a prayer although originally meant to be a response of agreement (it's derived ultimately from Greek and means "truth" or "certainty" so it's just an ancient way of saying "word!" or "true, dat!"

I see that this etymology differs from the one cited by @DavidLaDeau which goes back another couple of levels to the Egyptian via the Hebrew; it appears to be sort of studiously ignored in some references, particularly the Egyptian part, which might be a little speculative for all I know. But if true, that does peg the irony meter.

"Amen" just means, "I agree."

It's an ancient word, from Hebrew, Arabic, and early Afroasiatic languages, incorporated into Greek.

I sit in silence. I don't buy in, but I am happy to respect what they feel they need to do.

I usually chuckle. It is true in Hebrew it does mean "So be it," the interesting thing is that the origin of the Hebrew word is thought to come from the Egyptian "Amon." Or also spelled Amun. Amun was a combined with the deity Ra. These were from the upper and lower kingdoms of Egypt.
When the Egyptians ended their prayers they Honored Amon with his name. This became Amen with the Hebrews, Thus the Hebrews actually ended their prayers honoring the Egyptian God. No kidding. So when Christians end their prayers with Amen they are actually Honoring an Egyptian God. I am not kidding here.
So I just chuckle.

Not so:

"Popular among some theosophists proponents of Afrocentric theories of history and adherents of esoteric Christianity is the conjecture that amen is a derivative of the name of the Egyptian god Amun (which is sometimes also spelled Amen).

Some adherents of Eastern religions believe that amen shares roots with the Hindu Sanskrit word, Aum. Such external etymologies are not included in standard etymological reference works. The Hebrew word, as noted above, starts with aleph, while the Egyptian name begins with a yodh."

@Bierbasstard, @birdingnut Could it be that Jews and Christian scholors simply reject the idea that their religion is not real and based on others that pre-dated them?

@DavidLaDeau ?? No mention of religion-my reply was solely based on majority consensus based on etymological factors..the "aleph," and "yodh" in the ancient forms of the words.

@birdingnut It seems that your grasp on etymology surpasses mine. As I understand it The God Amon predates the hebrew and could be the orgins of the hebrew....*bows with deference

@DavidLaDeau I dunno if the Egyptian language/religion contributed to that exact word or not. Don't really care.

it just means "so be it." people say it at the end of prayers but it can be said any time you wish something to happen, and it's not necessarily a CALL for something to be, any more than "i sure hope so" would be.

g

i do nothing. it doesn't have to be a religious word, actually.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:188657
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.